cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Pin

SirSexyman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Does anyone know definitively what the default PIN on a Public Mobile SIM card is? I would like to change my SIM PIN and would appreciate being pointed to an official source for the answer as I only have 3 tries to enter the correct default SIM PIN. Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23

jjramendham

5 tries

SirSexyman

Having a SIM PIN activated prevents your SIM being used on another phone if it was physically removed from your phone, in which case your phone’s passcode would not apply.

SirSexyman

Hi z10user4,

I need the default PIN (1234) so that I can turn on the SIM PIN on my SIM and then change it to something other than the default for security purposes.

SirSexyman

In the years that I have been with Fido, I have had SIM cards where the Default PIN was 3436 spelling FIDO and I believe recently their SIM cards are now 1234 as well. I believe most carriers SIM PINs are now 1234 but I didn’t want to use up a try on a guess.

SirSexyman

Yes!

SirSexyman

Hi Gblackma,

i just needed the Default SIM PIN (1234) to turn on the SIM PIN and then to change it to something other than the Default. The SIM was not PUKed. Thank you for your thorough response.

SirSexyman

Hi Dabr,

I have tried it and the default is 1234. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks muchly. Clearly and obviously, I've never fiddled with that function. I just did on my S7/A8. It wanted that default merely to turn on the SIM lock. Same to change it. Then I restarted the phone. There it was. I've set it back to default and turned it off.

I don't see the point when I have the other security to get into the phone. meh

Thanks

The device's security settings only prevent somoene from use that device.  To prevent someone by using the service attached to the sim card, the SIM's PIN feature needs to be enabled. I believe that if you do that and then remove the sim card and insert it into another phone, that sim card can't be used without the SIM card's PIN or PUK.   I will admit thought that a 4 digit number is hardly secure, but that's why the PIN isn't accepted after a few incorrect attempts.

Even less of a need here when there are no overages to surprise you at bill time. For a non-hot-swap SIM phone I guess the phone gets restarted and there it is. I'll see if my other phones are hot-swappable and see. Just for fun. Some time.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks muchly. Clearly and obviously, I've never fiddled with that function. I just did on my S7/A8. It wanted that default merely to turn on the SIM lock. Same to change it. Then I restarted the phone. There it was. I've set it back to default and turned it off.

Thanks

The device's security settings only prevent somoene from use that device.  To prevent someone by using the service attached to the sim card, the SIM's PIN feature needs to be enabled. I believe that if you do that and then remove the sim card and insert it into another phone, that sim card can't be used without the SIM card's PIN or PUK.   I will admit thought that a 4 digit number is hardly secure, but that's why the PIN isn't accepted after a few incorrect attempts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

So since you're putting on a clinic... 🙂

when and why would this SIM PIN problem come up other than if the owner put a SIM PIN in their phone? Or is that the only time? But what about the default? When and why would the default ever be needed?

The OP of his thread wanted the default. 

When someone wishes to change this PIN, the default is needed. Without entering the existing code, the customer can't change it to a new code.

Thanks

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

when and why would this SIM PIN problem come up other than if the owner put a SIM PIN in their phone? Or is that the only time? But what about the default? When and why would the default ever be needed?

The OP of his thread wanted the default. 

When someone wishes to change this PIN, the default is needed. Without entering the existing code, the customer can't change it to a new code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

@gpixel wrote:

how about someone just tests it, but most likely it's gonna be 1234. i think it was chatr or fido the default sim pin was 0000

It has already been tested. The default for Public is 1234.  I've used most Canadian carriers including Chatr and Fido, and the only carrier that I've ever come across that used 0000 was Wind/Freedom.

how about someone just tests it, but most likely it's gonna be 1234. i think it was chatr or fido the default sim pin was 0000

@gblackma wrote:

@SirSexyman if you just activated and inserted your sim into your phone and it asks for a sim puk unlock code, then its locked to your previous contact them and ask them to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it. If its a Samsung phone contact Samsung online and ask them to unlock it for you. 

If you locked yourself out of the phone contact the moderators and ask them to unlock it for you.  

There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

Stop trying to guess it 10 tries and you have to buy a new sim card. 

It needs to be made clear that the SIM card's security PUK is not the same thing as the SIM Network Unlock PUK. The second code has to do with the phone being locked to another carrier.

For SIM Network Unlock PUK, Public Mobile's moderators would not be able to help, because if the Public Mobile sim card is inserted, this would mean that the phone is locked to another carrier. Pubilc Mobile will not assist in unlocking phones from a different carrier.  Entering this code incorrectly does not do anything to the SIM card. In addition, the SIM Network Unlock PUK is not something the a phone would ever asked for unless the SIM Network Unlock PIN has been entered incorrectly and repeatedly.

As for the SIM card's secruity PUK (moderators can provide this code), there isn't any reason for a phone to ever ask for this unless the SIM card's security PIN has been incorrectly entered a few times.

@gblackma 

all Public Mobile sim cards (doesn't matter if activated) unless someone manually changes the code

@computergeek541  is it 1234 for all sims both the activated and unactivated ones? Thanks.

Moderator_Team,

The default security PIN on all Public Mobile sim cards is 1234.  A customer contacting you about this would only slow down response times.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there! You can get help by submitting a ticket here https://bit.ly/2HK8Bnb. Chat with SIMon and write "talk to a human".

@gblackma 

The OP has stated a desire to change the security PIN of the SIM.  This isn't related to IMEI or carrier unlocking (the code for this can't even be changed).

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@SirSexyman if you just activated and inserted your sim into your phone and it asks for a sim puk unlock code, then its locked to your previous contact them and ask them to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it. If its a Samsung phone contact Samsung online and ask them to unlock it for you. 

If you locked yourself out of the phone contact the moderators and ask them to unlock it for you.  

There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

Stop trying to guess it 10 tries and you have to buy a new sim card. 

@SirSexyman 

It is 100%, without any doubt, 1234.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@SirSexyman wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know definitively what the default PIN on a Public Mobile SIM card is? I would like to change my SIM PIN and would appreciate being pointed to an official source for the answer as I only have 3 tries to enter the correct default SIM PIN. Thank you.

@SirSexyman   While I'm not 100% sure, I believe I've read some posts mention 1234.  Maybe someone else will know for sure..

Edit: after reading a couple of older posts about this, it does seem that is the default
SIM PIN.  Have you tried it yet?

Need Help? Let's chat.