cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in the US with 3g

Wally59
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I would like to know if anyone has used roaming in the US recently as I understand they are removing their 3g networks, and I will be in California - Arizona - and Nevada next month and would like to know if it will work for me?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Just as long as you're aware that it's all dodgy. Any of those voip apps should work fine over wifi or cell data. Oh, and turn on data roaming. You could turn that on now if you like as this place doesn't do any surprise charges after the fact.

Wally59

Thanks for your help. If data works great. If talk not so much I will download TextNow to make voice calls over Wifi. I do have Fongo mobile app and I think I can make voice calls over Wifi with that app as well.

Thanks again.

Wally59

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like data and text will work, so that's fine with me. If talk is hit and miss, I'm okay with that.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wally59  Read up on recent experiences from other users.. it’s a crap shoot these days.. will it work? Maybe.. depending where you are.. find an alternative 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Wally59  

do you need data or voice?

Data, it should work without much problem, just try connect to T-Mobile first, and AT&T as a second choice

If  voice, you will need to only connect to T-Mobile and use the 2G network.  According to  https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466 , the 2G coverage in California, Arizona and Nevada is ok, but you won't know until your try

Download a TextNow to make calls on Wifi or Mobile data just in case

you can still buy the roaming, if it does not work well or not work at all, CS agent usually will refund the charge

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Nobody can guarantee anything. When you arrive, manually connect to T-Mobile. Not automatic. That will give you the only chance for talk. Text and data should be fine. Talk would need to be in a 2G GSM coverage area which may be limited too. The problem centres around talk.

You could get just roaming data and use voip apps for talk and text.

For extra fun, try AT&T or Verizon and report back anything working with either. I doubt it.

Need Help? Let's chat.