cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Phil72
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I referred a friend to the $34 Canada/US promotion a couple of weeks ago. He made a call back to Canada from Michigan and received a pop-up message about a $14/day roaming charge. Now he's in a panic about having to pay extra fees because the whole purpose of signing onto this plan was to be able to make cross-border calls.

Should he simply ignore the message or did we misunderstand the terms of the plan? 

5 REPLIES 5

Phil72

He set up a new number, so the transfer is not at issue. However, I think it must be as you wrote, that the message is generic to all users crossing the border, but not specific to that plan.  Thanks for your reassuring response.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Phil72 , it sounds like your friend did not successfully complete a number transfer to Public Mobile and was using the old service to make a call.  Public Mobile is 100% prepaid, so if a service has not been bought in advance, it won't work.  I am on the $34/50GB CAN-US plan and I can attest that calls back to Canada are an included feature.  When the call is made, there is a generic message about long distance may apply because the Public Mobile system is unable to pick out whether the long distance calling is included in the plan or not.  The long distance charges notification is intended to suggest that minutes might be deducted from a calling add-on which is a separate purchase from the base plan.  

Phil72

Thanks. The plan is definitely set up, so it was disturbing to him to get this warning. I told him to stop worrying.

@Phil72 wrote:

I referred a friend to the $34 Canada/US promotion a couple of weeks ago. He made a call back to Canada from Michigan and received a pop-up message about a $14/day roaming charge. Now he's in a panic about having to pay extra fees because the whole purpose of signing onto this plan was to be able to make cross-border calls.

Should he simply ignore the message or did we misunderstand the terms of the plan? 

Public Mobile doesn't have any $14/day raaming charge.   In addition to that, services not already paid for wouldn't work. There are no daily or per-use charges at Public Mobile.  Is it possible that a different carrier's SIM card was being used?

RalphPenner

Did he set up with this new plan already? If so then he shouldn't need to worry about extra charges.

Need Help? Let's chat.