cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve time zone from network

FFL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I live in BC Pacific standard Time but it retrieves mountain standard time (an hour ahead). This happened automatically and my only fix is not use the automic time zone setting. Is this happening to anyone else? Using a Nexus 6p on a custom ROM.
12 REPLIES 12

@FFL
I think time info comes from the core network, defined per Tracking Area. Does this only happen to you in a specific area of the city? Does it happen on LTE only or 3G also?

clavijo

hi , 

anytime you do a change , make sure that you do a hard reset ( take the battery out )

so that the changes will work

cheers

FFL
Doubt it. I live in Vancouver

Is it at all possible that you're connecting to a tower in the Mountain time zone?

FFL
That's some pretty interesting info. Thanks

@Luddite wrote:

Someone should correct me as I am no longer infallible, but I think the automatic time zone is not set by Public Mobile but by your phone sensing its location, then retrieving local time from the internet (cellular data or wifi). Seems to be the situation with my devices.

Celular networks do broadcast a time that can update the cell phone device without the need for a data connection.  With current smartphones, this might get overidden by the phone's software to use an internet connection to set the time, but the pure ability to set time based on the voice network is still there.

Before the days that smartphones existed, or at least at the time before the widespread popularity of the smartphone, data was rated at a price of usually around $50/MB and it was commonplace for customers to request that the carrier completely block data.  Even after blocking cellular data at the account level, the time would still auto update.  I've had phones in the past on Bell CDMA, Telus CDMA, Rogers GSM and HPSA, Mobilicity, and Wind,  all with no data plan, and some models without wi-fi,  and was able to auto-update the device time through the cell network. I think the only network that I ever found not able to do that was Fido GSM way back (pre-2000), when it was necessary to manually type in the time. 

When it comes to daylight time savings, most smartphones these days change your time right when the clock would hit 2am, as an auto-programmed event within the phone software.  There was a time when daylight savings and the switch back to standard time would result in problems once every six months, because the network would not always push the right time after such a time change.  It was standard procedure for people who used their phones as alarm clocks to set the time to manual on that night because the adjusted network time would sometimes not get updated until well into the morning, hours later. 

In the case of Rogers, the GSM and HSPA network used to broadcast different times.  The GSM network used to have a time that was always about 15 seconds faster than the HSPA network (it might have been the other way around).  So, you could be on the GSM network and have your phone display 12:00pm, but if the phone decided to switch over to HSPA,  time would appear to go backwards and your phone would then say 11:59am.  I wouldn't be surprised if that same time discrepency still exists between the two.

Someone should correct me as I am no longer infallible, but I think the automatic time zone is not set by Public Mobile but by your phone sensing its location, then retrieving local time from the internet (cellular data or wifi). Seems to be the situation with my devices.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

FFL
Thanks everyone for the reply. Didn't seem to be custom ROM problem. I've been using the same one for awhile and haven't updated or anything. If anything, I suspect that my location GPS was glitched or public mobile messed up time zones for a bit? I haven't changed anything or rebooted. Manually set the time zone. Tried automatic time zone after a few hours and currently working again.

If your auto time zone doesnt pick up the right zone, then manually choose it. 

Some custom roms has issue on its own, such as your problem if cant be fixed by checking, restarting etc.   custom is no longer fun as before.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try a different more stable rom?

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Hi
There is two settings under date and time
1.automatic date and time
2.automatic time zone
3.Uncheck both of them
4. Make correction of date, time and time zone.
5.check automatic date and time first.
6. Check time zone.
Let us see if it helps.
If not then turning wifi off and data on may can help to get network provided automatic time zone.
Please let us know the update.

ASharpTM
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here's a couple things you can try. You might have already tried these already but you can give these a shot if you haven't already.

Go into the settings and turn off automatic time zone. Manually set the time zone to Pacific then automatic date/time and automatic time zone back on. Hopefully it stays but I suspect it might not.

If that doesn't help maybe try restarting your phone? It should force your phone to grab the correct time and time zone from the network.

And if that doesn't help well then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Need Help? Let's chat.