cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Phones Motherboard

Joyce
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hey guys,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 less than a year ago and I noticed that the battery drains quickly, quick compared to other S6s. One of my relatives told me to go to the warranty center to replace the motherboard as that should fix the problem as it did hers. It would also allow me to get LTE+ since I'm stuck with 3G for some reason.

Anyways, after my relative replaced her phones motherboard, she had to unlock her phone to use Public Mobile again. Is there anyway around this, or is it necessary to unlock it? Note: we both paid our phones in full.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nidospido unfortunately, I have no idea how to answer your questions.  And of the other two people that responded here previously, one has passed away ( @Martin, rest in peace Robot Sad ), and the other left Public Mobile ages ago for various reasons ( @7789849803 ).  

I would suggest you maybe look at a Samsung (e.g. https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA#/) or Android community (e.g. https://www.androidauthority.com/community/ or https://forums.androidcentral.com/ ) to ask.  This community is about Public Mobile phone service, and not the ideal place to ask your specific questions.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nidospido
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to know please if I can replace the motherboard of

SM-G920I (LATAM, Singapore, India, Australia)

with

SM-G920S (Korea)?

and is the home button related to the motherboard with a serial number?

what else is related to the motherboard and should be changed when changing the motherboard?

Thanks in advance

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Joyce was your phone purchased unlocked or was it originally locked to a network, and if so, which one. 

I'm not sure why you would need a motherboard replacement to get LTE, however.  This seems really odd.  Do you know which variation (model) of the S6 you have?  I see the following options available:

SM-G9200 (Hong Kong)

SM-G9208 (China)

SM-G9208/SS (China)

SM-G9209 (China)

SM-G920A (AT&T)

SM-G920F (Global)

SM-G920FD (Pakistan, Philippines)

SM-G920I (LATAM, Singapore, India, Australia)

SM-G920S (Korea)

SM-G920T (T-Mobile)

At a quick glance, i believe the G920A (AT&T), G920F (Global), and G920T (T-Mobile) all have PM-compabitible LTE bands.  Which model is yours?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mayor / Maire

@Joyce wrote:
Hey guys,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 less than a year ago and I noticed that the battery drains quickly, quick compared to other S6s. One of my relatives told me to go to the warranty center to replace the motherboard as that should fix the problem as it did hers. It would also allow me to get LTE+ since I'm stuck with 3G for some reason.

Anyways, after my relative replaced her phones motherboard, she had to unlock her phone to use Public Mobile again. Is there anyway around this, or is it necessary to unlock it? Note: we both paid our phones in full.

Thank you.

I agree with what @Martin has said in his post above. It's their responsibility to return you the phone in the same state of lock as it was before. How they figure that out is their problem, not yours. But you may have to insist on this in your interactions with them.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Joyce,

If you submit an unlocked phone, or one locked to Koodo/Telus/PM, that's the way it should stay, even though changing the motherboard may lock it. If that possibility exists, politely but firmly advise the technician that you do not want the locked/unlocked status of your phone changed. If it is changed, insist that the technician's company rectify the situation.

If they balk, remember that there is head office, CRTC, CCTS, and the BBB.

Good luck!
Need Help? Let's chat.