cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding data usage this month

jkmatthie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wanted to change my plan to the $45 plan with 20gb data. I am in an environment without WIFI for this month and possibly often enough in the future, where I will be depending more on my LTE data. I have already expired most of my LTE data this month, unless I continue to access data with add-ons, or an alternative plan.

Your website would indicates that a $45 plan is available that includes 20gb of data, rather than the current plan I am on for $40 which only includes 15gb of data. However the plan appears to be 'greyed' out, and the website does not seem to allow me to change my plan to anything greater than my current plan, only less than (3G plans).

Because it would not let me change plans, I was forced to pay an extra $15 for only 1 extra gb of data add-on, which is an absurd price for only 1gb of data.

Can someone please help me find a better solution to this problem? I would much rather have put that $15 into a different plan that would better accommodate my present needs.

9 REPLIES 9

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@jkmatthie 

You're welcome. I don't know the details of why you won't have wifi for awhile but you could look into getting a telus hub. Essentially it's like having home wifi (and pricing) but using the wireless network. It's worth looking into to see if you would qualify and if the pricing would net worthwhile savings. (Especially if you were able to split the cost with one or more people?)

jkmatthie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@softech @maximum_gato @wetcoaster Thank you all so much for your replies, sorry for the delayed return. I could only accept one reply as a solution, but everything was super helpful and offered me better insight into how the system works. I'll follow all of your advice for coming months. Grateful, thank you again.

something new.  I hope that is not a one time glitch 🙂

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster 

I never seen them applied automatically afterwards like that but the past 2 renewals my rewards have been applied a day early for some reason (since the change in how the community rewards are applied.)

And yes early renewals or immediate plan changes normally forfeit rewards until a full 30 day cycle is completed so as to prevent the over collection of rewards when they  equal or exceed the plan amount.

@maximum_gato 

Spread over the 6 accounts I help manage this was the first time ever that an immediate plan change (or an early renewal for that matter) made the most sense. So I can't speak to what happened before. (and before when?).

From what I read around here it used to be that missing rewards needed to be added by the CSA? But I can't speak from personal experience.

It happened automatically - I went back three days in to make sure that we're on a better track re: data usage. Noticed available funds that were different than expected and there were the rewards.

Note: This account is occasionally suspended for a month or two, so I assume that it's in "the green" re: loyalty rewards. There must be some kind of counter that prevents abuse of the loyalty rewards by repeated early renewals / immediate plan changes?

I also let plans go into suspension naturally, ie the rewards are applied before the payment fails. Which then makes it "the right amount" when reactivating. So I can't speak to reactivation after lost/stolen either.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@jkmatthie 

Once you run out of plan data on your current plan make the change to the $45/20gb plan and save the rest of your $15/1gb add on data for an emergency. It will not expire but roll over every 30 days til consumed so you can use it to bridge the gap between renewals or an early renewal.

Set your data warning so you know when you are running low on plan data and your data limiter so that you have at least 1gb of plan data and/or the remainder of your data add on left to use when you reset your data limiter to use data again so you can log in and either change plans again or contact customer support to perform an early renewal of your plan.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster 

Is that new or have they always done that? I had noticed that the help articles mentioned it but I didn't think pm had put it in practice?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Make sure that you are using the 4G plans tab, then use the yellow dot arrows to scroll up and down to find your new plan.

If you change your plan immediatly you will forfeit any remaining data on your current plan. You'll also need to pay full plan cost. This, of course,only applicable if your account is old enough to have $ rewards, which, by your community account date it could be... the rewards will be added to your account a couple of days after the new plan starts instead of the usual before the regular renewal. 

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 07.10.58.png

This is from my recent plan upgrade mid-cycle.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jkmatthie   try to login to My Account using Incognito mode and you should see all the plans there

Also, use the arrow keys on the far righ tor bottom to scroll to the plan you want

Not sure if you need the extra data on the new plan NOW.  if you don't use "Change plan on renewal date" to schedule a plan change later.   If you use "Change plan now", PM will charge you new plan amount now and start the new cycle now.  NO partial refund on unused days of the old plan 

Need Help? Let's chat.