cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral Bonus Revoked, WTF?

RuBearymore
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Guys,

My sister referred me to PM, and after checking everything out and paying quite a bit to start up (included Long Distance package) it turned out that my handset doesn't work on the system, even though the IEM number seemed to check out (bought in the UK, unlocked, apparently only works on Rogers, Fido etc frequency?) Asked for a refund since couldn't use phone at all,  asked three times for a refund starting in the first 4 hours of service, took over a week to get the response "we'll submit a request", never got a definitive answer on that..   FINALLY found an old unused handset kicking around my sister's that wasn't locked, so got about 1 week's use out of that month's "plan"... errgh!!  Then, my sis tells me that she got a message saying that PM had revoked her referral bonus due to "inactivity" on my acct?!?  You guys still got paid, so why isn't she getting her bonus?  Also, pretty crap response time and service.  Not impressed you guys, not impressed..  I suppose I do not see a referral bonus in MY future as I will NOT be recommending PM to anyone I know.  Sticking with you for another month, hopefully get some use out of the Long Distance plan at least, but I foresee switching to Fido in the near future! 

13 REPLIES 13

@RuBearymore Evidently there were two 2'nd gen Moto Es:

A. Moto E with 4G LTE:
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (1, 3, 7, 20)

B. Moto E Global GSM:
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Don't think version A will function on PM; B should be fine on our 3G. Based on your testing I suspect you have an A and it will connect on 2G (GSM) frequencies; these not offered by Public Mobile. Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@RuBearymore,

I searched for the specs of your phone, and accoding to the website I'll link below, your phone should be usable on the Telus network.

Maybe someone who understands the frequency bands better than I can confirm?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e_(2nd_gen)-6986.php

RuBearymore

Thanks Mary, I will let her know.

RuBearymore

No, I'm pretty sure it's a 4G phone..  it's a Motorola Moto E (2nd gen), bought it this past spring in the UK.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @RuBearymore

Thank you for reaching out to us !

I'm really sorry to hear that you were off to a rough start. 

To clear things up for you, your sister should receive the referral reward as long as your account is active (and not deactivated)

Please ask her to contact us and we'll make it right!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Your sister is a smart girl 🙂

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi..

i bought a huawei y625 world phone ( dual sim ) in germany in april this year.... although unlocked as mine, many european phones do not have the required frequencies for north america thus would not support many carriers

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A little off topic but you can easily unlock most phones for cheap. Try sites such as unlockmenow.ca for instance

Edit: ok my bad, your phone was technically unlocked.

What is make/model of your phone? Members may have some ideas to help.

As it happens there are many unlocked "world" phones that only function on 2G networks; PM is 3G/LTE only.

RuBearymore

Thanks Luddite.  I wish I'd thought to pop her SIM into my phone before I ordered my own and activated it..  one more lesson learned!

RuBearymore

Thanks, yes, my phone is unlocked, but doesn't seem able to work on the frequency.  Frustrating.  I'm sure the device is perfectly capable, just programmed not to.  I'm more annoyed that my sister isn't getting the bonus AND she's had to hear all this ordeal and feel bad for referring me in the first place! 😉

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Definitely a very poor start. As far as the referal bonus in concerned your sister should receive it as long as your account is active. She should post the error here and someone will look into it. If you wish to manage that for her, let us know.

I'm not clear on what you plan to do, however the long distance add-on will only funtion while you have a active plan calling plan.

Unfortunately, the IMEI checker can give false positives and the only accurate test is an actived Public Mobile SIM. There is also an article on that topic here:                              How do I know if my phone will work on the Public ...                  ... or the website http://willmyphonework.net

Better luck with your next carrier.

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Hello there. I feel sorry for your issue. You might have a chance that your phone is locked and doesn't work on PM carrier. If you bought the phone in UK you might have a chance that your phone doesn't have the necessary frequency to run on PM.
Also i will tag the moderators @Shazia_K @Mary_M @Saray_O
Need Help? Let's chat.