cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconditioned phone warranty

Mumsie52
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a reconditioned phone from PM in late June. In September with no warning it stopped working ( Apple symbol would come up but wouldn’t load) I have sent 2 tickets in & haven’t received a callback. Yesterday I was directed by Simon to take it to local Telus/ Klinique office which I did this morning. They subsequently told me that they don’t deal with Public Mobile issues. I am VERY frustrated since I just keep getting a run around. I have family members interested in switching to PM but how can I recommend this company under the present circumstances? I feel like the object here is to let the warranty run out then they won’t need to deal with the problem!!

10 REPLIES 10

@will13am wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

Ho @will13am for CPO phone repairs , we can just drop off stores for help without open a support ticket with PM first?

Reading the terms in the help article, it seems like the CSAs are not really doing much for the warranty repair option.  All they are doing is confirming that the one year warranty has not expired.  In most instances, a customer would have sufficient records to determine that on their own.  It is the repair center that would have to do additional checks to make sure the failure is not due to misuse.  I can see the return process requiring some sort of RMA that a CSA would have to authorize.  Are there any holes in my interpretation?

I don't believe there is any RMA process at all for warranty issues that Public Mobile needs to get involved with.  As you were saying earlier, all I believe that a CSA would only be checking the warranty status as recorded in the Telus databases.  It's then up to the location processing the warranty to request to accept or deny the warranty claim. For those in more remote regions, I know that Mobile Klinik offers mail-in warranty service with free shiping both directions.  As Mobile Klinik is owned by Telus and does process Telus warranty claims, it would be interesting to know if they would also allow warranty claims via mail-in.  I can't see why they wouldn't.

When it comes to Public Mobile CPO phone warranty, I wouldn't even mention to the store that you're a Public Mobile customer.  I would simply go to the store with a print out from the Telus warranty checking website (Public Mobile doesn't, or at least didn't provide me with any type of sale receipt). I say this because I've read from others and you as well about some stores falsely claiming that they can't process Public Mobile warranty claims.  Essentially, the CPO phone warranty isn't really related to Public Mobile at all as the warranty is being provided by Telus Mobility.

I'm also going to mention that it's been mentioned that the warranty is one year from purchase, and some people even say that the warranty doesn't start until the purchaser receives it. Neither of those statements are quite accurate.  On the Telus warranty check website, no warranty information will be displayed if you haven't used the device yet. Only after you start using the phone (presumably with a Telus, Koodo, or Public SIM card) does the warranty get activated.  I'm uncertain what a warranty centre would accept as proof of warranty status in the case of DOA device.  All this means that warranty can actually still be valid quite a bit more than one year from the time of purchase.  Through phone purchases, I have confirmed that the warranty start and end date is based solely based on when you start using the phone (I had one that I purchased that wasn't used until a few months later) .

@hTideGnow wrote:

Ho @will13am for CPO phone repairs , we can just drop off stores for help without open a support ticket with PM first?

Reading the terms in the help article, it seems like the CSAs are not really doing much for the warranty repair option.  All they are doing is confirming that the one year warranty has not expired.  In most instances, a customer would have sufficient records to determine that on their own.  It is the repair center that would have to do additional checks to make sure the failure is not due to misuse.  I can see the return process requiring some sort of RMA that a CSA would have to authorize.  Are there any holes in my interpretation?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mumsie52 , this is the terms of the 1 year warranty.  You should take the phone back to the Telus store and show them their obligations to provide warranty service.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/phone-warranty-returns-repairs

As for verifying the warranty status, I think you can do it yourself using this link.

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/services/warranty-lookup

@Mumsie52 

Try private messaging them (CS_Agent) on the envelope icon above…keep bugging them.

Mumsie52
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unfortunately I sent 2 tickets but never received a response

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Will be good for family members. It is the refurbished piece that is your issue.  Over the years of buying anything that is refurbished or a return checked in the “shop”, we refuse to buy as we have been burned many times. I have bought all my iPhones on Craigslist or from family. I have a proven method of buying as others here will tell you not to do.   But do try the DFU.

There seems to to be a missing link when a CSA directs you to Mobile Klinik or a corporate Telus store. You are not the first. 

1. Did the CSA give a work order number?

2. What was the name of CSA?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Mumsie52 

There is a 1 year warranty on your reconditioned PM phone so contact a CS_Agent through private messaging on the envelope icon above. 
If your iPhone is rebooting loop then the motherboard is toast.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Try performing a DFU on it.  Google the acronym. It’s not what you might think it could mean. 😀😀

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Mumsie52 

Wow!   Sorry to hear about what you're going through.

You should really reach out to a Customer Support Agent and get help from them instead.

Use the Chat Bot Simon to get a service ticket started first. Then link is at the bottom of the page.

If you don't get a reply from your tickets, try sending a private message to CS_Agent instead.

Need Help? Let's chat.