cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reception

nanna_tess
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am so frustrated with lack of service. I'm sitting in my rocking chair its dark. Quiet. And calm. The baby just( after2hrs) fell asleep and I want to take the time to call my mom. But darn. I can't! The only option is to get up and go to my front door which incidentally is only 2 feet away maybe.I am on a main floor house with 4lg windows. One in every direction but one. I have a phone called k5 its from the U.S. I am in Canada. I'm writing this just for curiosity sake. wondering if I bought one those iphones or some other expensive phone would my reception improve?

18 REPLIES 18

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nanna_tess wrote:
Hello it is an LG K5

Hi @nanna_tess, thanks for filling in that missing piece of info.  Okay so going back to what I was saying earlier (see below), I suspect it is indeed your phone that's causing the issue, unfortunately.  

@srlawren wrote:

@nanna_tess we need to know if this is a LENOVO K5 or an LG K5.  If it's an LG K5, is it the dual-SIM model (X220ds)?  If so, it is missing one (1900MHz) of the two key 3G frequencies (850MHz and 1900MHz) needed for phone service with PM and could be responsible for your lack of reception, though in a rural setting it's more likely you have an 850MHz tower closer, I suspect.  But we need more info on your specific phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pchan

Sorry about the issues you are having.

Can you borrow an iPhone (or another brand of phone) from a friend to try out whether your reception is better? 

If you cannot borrow one, buy a cell phone from BestBuy. You have 15 days to return it per their website policy -  http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/returns-and-exchanges-policy/hc1075.aspx  (search for 'cell phone' to see the policy).

If it is the reception is better then you can make a decision on what to do next. 

Goodluck.

nanna_tess
Hello it is an LG K5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nanna_tess we need to know if this is a LENOVO K5 or an LG K5.  If it's an LG K5, is it the dual-SIM model (X220ds)?  If so, it is missing one (1900MHz) of the two key 3G frequencies (850MHz and 1900MHz) needed for phone service with PM and could be responsible for your lack of reception, though in a rural setting it's more likely you have an 850MHz tower closer, I suspect.  But we need more info on your specific phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@nanna_tess - the problem could be your phone, but it could also just be where you're located.  No point getting an iPhone if you just don't have a close enough tower.  You haven't answered a very important question: have you used this phone at your location with a different provider?  If so, which provider was it?

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Using an app like hangout dialer will not require cell signal, wifi signal will suffice and with hangout dialer she can call US/CA numbers free with her actual number being shown if she verifies her number in settings. Also her issue is reception not being unable to call her mom. She has to go to her front steps in order to get receptions to make call that is her issue and I am assuming she has home wifi too so she can use an internet calling app instead or a signal repeater to boost her signal if it's allowed to.

@Shutdown wrote:

Change your phone to 3g only since 3g tends to have better coverage/reception then LTE, and if it's still bad use some internet calling app like hangout, fongo, skype or etc.

OP mentioned having problems making a call to her mom.  Phone calls automatically switch the phone to 3G even if it was on LTE prior.  Public Mobile does not have VoLTE. 

Shutdown

and if your really desperate for cell signal idk if this is allowed but I heard of people using these cell signal booster things to boost their cell signals when they have weak signal.

Shutdown

Change your phone to 3g only since 3g tends to have better coverage/reception then LTE, and if it's still bad use some internet calling app like hangout, fongo, skype or etc.

nanna_tess
Thanks for the feed back. You eased my mind with regards to the i phone performs.

@nanna_tess wrote:
Thank you both. At present I am in a rural setting. Features I enjoy most are Camera. And messenger. I also enjoy being able to look up a future purchase and being able to compare it. Especially cause I'm on a budget and I might have to choose between a store located 20 min one way or a store located 1/2hr. The other way. My phone is without a doubt my salvation.

There is always online shopping which takes out store location as a factor.  As others have noted, there are many k5 models, so we are are not sure which brand.  Looking at all the possibilities, the k5 phones are pretty low end in specs.  That in no way implies bad reception.  The release dates for all the k5 phones are prety recent and so reception should be okay.  My first guess is that getting a more expensive phone may not necessarily yield major improvements in reception.  Generally speaking, the larger size phones (5.5 inch screen) can provide slightly better reception due to longer antenna inside the phone.  Check out the cellular map link and see how far you are away from nearby cell towers.  Look for both Telus and Bell towers.  This may be the what is limiting signal performance. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@nanna_tess It would be very helpful to know exactly what phone and model you have and if you have used this with any other carrier before especially telus or bell. 

Once the community members know this info, they maybe able to help you out or suggest a solution. 

Also, please also check public mobile coverage map. 

Thanks

@nanna_tess  Have you used this phone with a different provider?  In a rural area check this link it is a map of cell towers in Canada find your area and look to see how many towers are around you and how close are they.  Do you have any large hills or anything that would block "line of sight" to these towers?

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dearmusic

Have you actually tried making a call?

My phone is old too, and it often shows 1 bar or no bar at all, but it's still connected fine.

When I actually make a call, it fall back from LTE to full bar 3G to make phone calls.

K5 can mean a few phones, like LG K5 or Lenovo K5 or what brand is your phone?

nanna_tess
Thank you both. At present I am in a rural setting. Features I enjoy most are Camera. And messenger. I also enjoy being able to look up a future purchase and being able to compare it. Especially cause I'm on a budget and I might have to choose between a store located 20 min one way or a store located 1/2hr. The other way. My phone is without a doubt my salvation.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So your phone is the LG K5?  Did you use this phone with a previous provider and if so what provider and how was reception.  Where abouts are you located?  Reading some reviews on the K5 have not been all that positive of a phone so i am wondering if it is a combination of factors like antenna in phone and service signal in your area.  Do you have any problems outside of your house?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Vickel
I have read blackberry phones are great in terms of reception

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

What part of the country are you located in?  In the urban settings, the Bellus network is pretty rock solid for coverage.  It could very well be that your phone is a bit weak in reception capability.  After all, no matter how good the cellular network is, the cell phone still has to be reasonably capable of picking up the signal. 

As for getting a good performing phone, I don't think an iPhone has exclusivity on cellular performance.  There are many current phones out there costing a lot less that work very well.  If you have a budget and features list in mind, let the community know.  I am sure some good suggestions will come your way. 

Need Help? Let's chat.