cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Xiaomi Redmi phones?

Bilnok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have a friend of me who I refered to PM, and who is owning a Redmi 9 (International version), but his phone can't detect PM network. But with his iPhone 6 it works. 

Yet, before buying the PM sim card, we checked that all the required frequencies by PM are supported by the Redmi 9 ?

Any solution that can help is welcome. 🙄

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Quincy1

I have had various Xiaomi/Redmi/Poco phones over the years, so I know there is always a problem with the automatic APN settings that have caused my MMS to fail over the years. When I recently switched from my cheap 3G plan to a bigger data plan on 5G, my MMS broke again.

After about an hour of changing APN settings based upon reading a bunch of different support threads from Public Mobile support articles and these forums too, I found the solution ONLY at https://apn.how/ca/public-mobile/xiaomi-redmi-note-12-pro

APN.how shows specific settings per phone model. Since my Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G is not listed, I use the exact settings for Redmi Note 12 Pro and MMS now works! These settings include the updated settings people are mentioning for Public Mobile, but what was missing from all these threads that APN.how showed me are the settings for APN Type, MVNO type and MVNO value (both were blank by default on my Redmi phone).

Please see the settings below for the settings that work on my Android based Redmi Note 11 Pro+ 5G, and which will likely works on all other MIUI based phones, and perhaps more Android phones:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.com/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: none
APN Type: default,mms,supl,fota,hipri
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN enable/disable (greyed out)
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO Type: GID
MVNO Value: 4D4F

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bilnok 

While this explanation from @sheytoon  was for a Huaweii phone it likely holds true for your friend's Xiaomi Redmi phone....

The reason it's not working is that Manitoba is a special province. In Winnipeg and Brandon, Telus uses their own network entirely, which is different than the shared Bell/Rogers network.

Telus doesn't have 3G B5 (850 MHz). Which means phone calls on PM must use 3G B2 (1900 MHz). Either your phone isn't supporting 3G 1900, or you are out of coverage for Telus 3G in your location, while being in coverage of Bell/Rogers.

LTE might work on certain bands, which would let you use data, SMS/MMS, voicemail indicator, but the actual voice calling still requires 3G 1900.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

zulu53

This is the protocol to follow if you want to use a "world phone" in Canada - but you need the long name of the phone.  Find the long name of the phone; either listed in "About Phone" section of the "Settings" on the phone OR download the DevCheck app and look at the Hardware section.  Redmi 9 is just the family name, you have to get the specific phone name.  With the phone name go to the FrequencyCheck website and search by device family (Redmi 9) and then pick the specific phone name that you have, there are a choice of 34 individual phone members of the Redmi 9 family.  Once there then then check for Canada/Public Mobile by just following the prompts.

@BilnokJust looking for any variations. Something like settings - about phone.

Adding - it looks like you might have the India version. It has incomplete frequenceis/bands for here.

Bilnok

Sorry, what do you mean by full length model? 

In the phone specs area, it is mentinned Redmi 9 only and nothing else.

Ah. Winnipeg and Brandon are known trouble spots for Public with marginal phones. Can you supply the full length model.

Bilnok

Yes, every step you mentioned has been done, but the phone still does not pick up the PM network. Still, the phone works flawlessly with other providers.

PS: Location Winnipeg, MB.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@BilnokCan the phone be changed to LTE or 4G and the others. Or 3G or WCDMA or UMTS or HSPA and others. Then scan for Public. Also make sure the provider selection is on automatic afterwards.

Need Help? Let's chat.