cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: $34 20GB 30-day plan available for current customers now!

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Question: If I use a phone that doesn't have 5G, can I still subscribe to the 5G plan?  This 5G plan is cheaper than the 4G 90day plan I currently have. I don't want to buy a new phone, and speed is not my concern. I'll change if it will still work even at 4G speed. Are there any configuration change I'll have to make to ensure that it will work?

9 REPLIES 9

hyT

Hi @foreverkayla8 @hTideGnow 

After I have scheduled the subscription change to the $34 20GB 5G plan yesterday morning, I thought I was all set. Then just before 5 pm I received an email from Public Mobile that a $34 40GB 5G plan had become available. Obviously I jumped at the chance and tried to cancel the 20 GB plan and change to the new and may be transient offering of the 40GB plan.

I did encounter the "latency problem" which Public Mobile is calling it. It took me about half an hour and a few fail-to-load pages. Finally I did it.

The community is full of messages of frustration by many existing and potential customers. Apparently many lost sleep trying to snatch the the deal. I think Public Mobile should take lessons from this mess and plan it better to avoid similar problems in the future.

This morning I checked and it seems everything is in order. We shall see if everything actually works on my next renewal date. Fingers crossed.

hyT

Screenshot_20231125-083946_Chrome.jpg

hyT

Hi @foreverkayla8 and @hTideGnow 

Change of subscription to - $34 30-day 20GB 5G "unlimited" data - has been scheduled for my next renewal date Dec. 22, 2023. Fingers crossed. 

Noticed that I can cancel the scheduled change before that date if I find a better deal pop up meanwhile.

2023-11-24 Change of Subscription Scheduled for Dec 22, 2023 Capture.JPG

hyT

Hi,@foreverkayla8 

Thank you very much for this follow-up message. It is reassuring to know from your personal experience that a 5G plan does work on a 4G-only phone. Turning your phone off and on again to make it work makes sense and is simple enough to do.

Thank you also for alerting me to the extra choice of a 30GB 4G plan. I currently have the $117 90-day 90GB 4G plan. I have hardly used 10% of that in 2 months. So I am unlikely to need the extra data. The $34 30-day 20GB 5G plan will be the better choice for me. I shall save $5 per 30 days after the switch.  @hTideGnow had also pointed out that even with a 4G-only phone, I may get higher speed than 100mbps with a 5G plan. That will be a bonus. I shall wait and see on Black Friday proper if there will be better deals coming before I schedule the switch.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

hyT

foreverkayla8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm writing to confirm that my plan did switch to 5G.  I do not have a 5G phone.  I turned off my wi-fi and tried to access the internet but had a message I was not connected.  I restarted the phone and turned off the wi-fi again and this time my internet worked!  Just an FYI, if you didn't see the new plans, there is a 30GB 4G plan for the same price as this one if you need more data (although this one is unlimited after the 20GB).

hI @hyT 

and best for 30 days plan is that you will no longer be on a 90 days "contract"

hyT

Hi, @hTideGnow 

So good to know. I'll still wait for @foreverkayla8 's personal experience after Nov 22 before I schedule the change. I'll save $5 per 30 days. I really don't need the 90 Gb for 90 days data which my current plan has.

hyT

Hi, @foreverkayla8 

Great. Thank you. Would appreciate your letting me/us know on Nov 22. I assume the $34 5G 30-day plan deal will still be available then. My current 90-day plan is not due for renewal until December 22. I think I'll wait till Black Friday to schedule my plan change if a 5G plan does work on a 4G only phone.

HyT

@foreverkayla8 @hyT 

the 5G plan here is like 5G speed plan, you don't need a 5G phone for that and it allows you the "5G speed" of up to 250Mbps

So, if you are using a non 5G phone with this plan, your phone will still connect to PM's 4G (LTE) network and the speed will be around 200Mbps, which is faster than the top speed of the 4G plan here (100Mpbs)

foreverkayla8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I also asked this question in the forum and was told it would still work.  My plan changes to a 5g plan on the 22nd and I don't have a 5g phone.  So if you want to know for sure from experience, check back on Wednesday!  No news will be good news!

Need Help? Let's chat.