cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding additional charge

AdrianG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Over this past weekend, I wanted to load my account with $40.  So I went through the Public Mobile website, entered my TD Visa Debit card number and then saw that my Public Mobile account had $40 in it (well, $42 to be exact as I signed up for AutoPay).  When I went to check my bank account, the charge was for $45.20.

Where does the additional $5.20 come from?  I phoned TD and TD told me to contact Public Mobile?  Can I have a moderator help me out on this one?  Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AdrianG Welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂 

You are definitely not alone in the confusion, we tend to see at least a few posts like this every week where someone thinks they were overcharged when in fact the "extra" was the tax amount.  No offense to you or anyone else, but I'm always a bit stunned when people forget about the tax, simply because to the best of my knowledge, every mobile provider in Canada advertises the pre-tax plan costs and then charges you tax on top.  I guess the confusion here is due to a lack of a statement you can look at, but I would expect people are used to paying tax and would come to that realization fairly quickly on their own.  Oh well, glad it's all sorted out at least!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

some places you dont pay the hold amount

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unless you have a number from the best province where there is only GST no provincial tax. 

#Albertaadvantage

The $5.20 is the exact charges of sales tax in some provinces.  Unfortunately, you need to pay sales taxes. They are not included in the advertised prices.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@AdrianG wrote:

Thanks @ShawnC13!  That never crossed my mind (I'm a newbie what can I say?).  Have a good one!

No worries and thanks for accepting a solution but as @Lg85, responded with the correct solution first I am going to change it to them. 

Keep participating in the forum and you can save even more money on your monthly bill

@ShawnC13 Thank you for your acknowledgment and kindness! You didn't have to do that, but I will happily accept it with appreciation 🙂 Cheers!

@AdrianG wrote:

Thanks @ShawnC13!  That never crossed my mind (I'm a newbie what can I say?).  Have a good one!

No worries and thanks for accepting a solution but as @Lg85, responded with the correct solution first I am going to change it to them. 

Keep participating in the forum and you can save even more money on your monthly bill

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

AdrianG

Thanks @Lg85!  Appreciate your help 🙂  Have a good one.

AdrianG

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@AdrianG wrote:

Over this past weekend, I wanted to load my account with $40.  So I went through the Public Mobile website, entered my TD Visa Debit card number and then saw that my Public Mobile account had $40 in it (well, $42 to be exact as I signed up for AutoPay).  When I went to check my bank account, the charge was for $45.20.

Where does the additional $5.20 come from?  I phoned TD and TD told me to contact Public Mobile?  Can I have a moderator help me out on this one?  Thanks!

Taxes.  $40.00 * 1.13 =$45.20

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AdrianG

The extra $5.20 should be 13% HST charged on top of the $40 plan. $40 x 1.13 = $45.20.

Need Help? Let's chat.