cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile gave me someone else's number

ohio
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Public Mobile gave me a number that belongs to someone else.

I became a Public Mobile customer last week. I chose a custom number. I immediately started getting crazy messages which was stored in my Junk folder on my iPhone. I thought they were spam initially. It got a bit too consistent with queries for the same guy, including an entire break up message threatening divorce. I decided to check if it was spam by texting people back a weird message, trying to be funny. People responded confused but eventually we found out that they had been texting their friend, who had been replying, but I had been getting all of the messages sent to him. 

Could someone please help.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ohio i know you chose this custom number, but considering you've only had it for a week and this is causing all this problem, why don't you just change your number?  Doesn't cost anything to change the number and you can find another custom number.  I can understand if you've had this number for a long time that maybe you wouldn't want to change it, but it's only been a week, and only takes like 1 minute to change it yourself in your My Account profile.  Would be much quicker this way than waiting for a MOD to try and fix something.

Log in to My Account -> select Plan and Add-ons -> Change Phone Number -> PROBLEM SOLVED Smiley LOL

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sounds like an episode of Modern Family

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am to the rescue!

I was about to write up instructions, but figured someone had either already posted a link, or would shortly!

Macros are your friend.  Smiley Happy

ohio

Thanks for helping! Much appreciated!

@will13am to the rescue!

I was about to write up instructions, but figured someone had either already posted a link, or would shortly!

@ohio wrote:

I am very new to Public Mobile. How do I contact the team? Thank you for your reply!

The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ohio wrote:

I am very new to Public Mobile. How do I contact the team? Thank you for your reply!

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification delays.
Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
And of course your question/problem.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

ohio

ohio

I can understand what you are saying but the other person is replying responses so they are obviously getting the messages. And we checked the number, it is exactly the same.

This could be a simple re-assignment of a previously used telephone number that was left to expire, or it could also be a mistake by the Public Mobile system.

Telephone numbers are recycled, and if records are not updated or communicated effectively, it becomes a hassle.  Hopefully, this is what has happened.

I've been in this situation with a landline years ago.  Bell assigned someone else's still active phone number when I moved into my first home.  What a pain!

If you haven't already, contact the Monderator_Team to address this issue.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Many of the number are used before, especialy those old time area code..   

Also when people choose the good number, its likely someone before you already used it due to similar reason.  Smiley Happy

Tell the other side, you are new owner, stop contacting you.  Or you can change the number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ohio wrote:

Hi,

Public Mobile gave me a number that belongs to someone else.

I became a Public Mobile customer last week. I chose a custom number. I immediately started getting crazy messages which was stored in my Junk folder on my iPhone. I thought they were spam initially. It got a bit too consistent with queries for the same guy, including an entire break up message threatening divorce. I decided to check if it was spam by texting people back a weird message, trying to be funny. People responded confused but eventually we found out that they had been texting their friend, who had been replying, but I had been getting all of the messages sent to him. 

Could someone please help.

Thanks

Funny. I wondered the same thing when I first got here. I was getting several calls and texts to one particular person. I explained that I'm not that person. Those calls and texts have stopped. Calls and texts are properly sent and received on my phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.