cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Mobile/Cellular data does not work on Android Lenovo A5

eperov
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I inserted PM SIM card into Android phone Lenovo 5a and Mobile data does not work. When apps need to connect to Internet (without WiFi), they say something like No Connect, No Internet connection etc., while phone calls and messaging are ok on the phone. It looks like the phone does not supports some Public Mobile protocols. This issue is not appearing with the same PM SIM card on iPhone, all apps can connect to Internet.

This happens only with PM SIM card.

When I inserted a Virgin Mobile SIM into the Lenovo, Mobile data is ok.

Is there some fix for this?

What protocol Public Mobile does use for Mobile data?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

eperov

> Your problem has nothing to do with the simcard. It's your phone.

I modify another simcard from another provider on the same phone, how could be this a phone problem then?

opendoor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi friend. Your problem has nothing to do with the simcard. It's your phone. Please unlock your phone properly. Or get proper software update.

@eperov wrote:

My PM sim does not alow to add new APN, there is no add (plus icon). Old sim card fromanother provider so adding with was ok, I found this workaorund by using different sim on forums, some carriers do not allow to modify APN.

It’s not SIM card problem, its android phone problem, same as the phone Asus Zonefone 4 Max that I’m using right now. I have to installed an app “MyNewAPN_test.apk to add new APN, otherwise can’t using data plan.

eperov

My PM sim does not alow to add new APN, there is no add (plus icon). Old sim card fromanother provider so adding with was ok, I found this workaorund by using different sim on forums, some carriers do not allow to modify APN.

@eperov wrote:

Thanks, that helped,the phome is not listed yet, but settings worked,

the only problem was a PM SIM does not allow to add new APM. I had to use an old SIM from another provider, added APN with it, then inserted PM SIM and selected new APN.

I wonder why Public Mobile do not add their APN, instead they included one Kudo and two Telus APNs on the SIM. Why dances with drums were required, as I mentioned everything was so simple with a Viirgin Mobile SIM.

I don’t think it’s PM SIM card that doesn’t allow to add new APN, it’s some android phones’s problem, because the iPhone my son using didn’t need add new APN or edited.

warzouing

I do not think it's related to old  or new PM sim. I have received a few days ago a new PM sim, inserted it to my Samsung galaxy s4. Voice and text were ok but no data. Apn is defaulted to koodo and there are options like telus or bell. I have tried all but none of them work. Finally, I have manually added a new apn with the settings as recommended and bingo, the 4g sign makes its appearance and data just flows in and out.

eperov

Thanks, that helped,the phome is not listed yet, but settings worked,

the only problem was a PM SIM does not allow to add new APM. I had to use an old SIM from another provider, added APN with it, then inserted PM SIM and selected new APN.

I wonder why Public Mobile do not add their APN, instead they included one Kudo and two Telus APNs on the SIM. Why dances with drums were required, as I mentioned everything was so simple with a Viirgin Mobile SIM.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@eperov wrote:

Hi,

I inserted PM SIM card into Android phone Lenovo 5a and Mobile data does not work. When apps need to connect to Internet (without WiFi), they say something like No Connect, No Internet connection etc., while phone calls and messaging are ok on the phone. It looks like the phone does not supports some Public Mobile protocols. This issue is not appearing with the same PM SIM card on iPhone, all apps can connect to Internet.

Thanks

@eperov Hi, you may not set up the APN. Here is the link:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/what-you-should-do-after-activating

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eperov wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Find your phone on this list:
Officially Recognized APN Reference

If your phone isn't there maybe these might work:
APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set