cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem porting number - incorrect ESN/MEID

TotoNet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am trying to port my number from Virgin Mobile.  When doing so I received a text message "Hey, it's Public Mobile.  We're having trouble transferring your number.  Looks like you entered an incorrect ESN/MEID."

I am pretty sure I entered my IMEI properly so I need help to port my number to Public Mobile.  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Apparently the account number is more reliable to get the porting done, I didn't realize that but luckily I had my koodo account up and running in the background at activation so I used the account number without dialling a bunch of number or digging in my settings for my imei, many customers have gone through this though and were able to rectify it and get it done through their account #

@TotoNet wrote:

Hi, I am trying to port my number from Virgin Mobile.  When doing so I received a text message "Hey, it's Public Mobile.  We're having trouble transferring your number.  Looks like you entered an incorrect ESN/MEID."

I am pretty sure I entered my IMEI properly so I need help to port my number to Public Mobile.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is a mistake in that text message. As you know ESN/MEID numbers aren't used by any Canadian carriers any more.  What softech is saying is true that you should have used your Virgin Mobile account number instead, but IMEI should have still worked.  Although you're certain that the correct IMEI was provided, the message sent by Public Mobile informating you of porting failure does mean that the Virgin Mobile rejected the IMEI.  Also whenever number porting, skip the IMEI and account PIN fields whenever possible (Petro Canada and Speakout are exceptions to that).

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@TotoNet  - Or, you can submit a ticket with public mobile representatives (CSA) for help sort out your porting issues; click this link: to request the transfer of your number over to Public Mobile.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TotoNet   you should have entered the Account number instead of IMEI.  There is a number you can call to contact live person tomorrow morning to get this resolved..  I will message you via Community inbox, please check the envelope icon on the top right

Need Help? Let's chat.