cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential scam using Public Mobile's name

lexingtondavid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recieved a call from this number, 112896754525, and tracked it down to Ontario, but it was a robot that claimed it was from public mobile and that my plan didn't cover talk. I'm positive that my plan does, but more importantly, I'm positive that public mobile doesn't send out such calls. This is less so a question that a warning to others as well as to moderators in case anyone else should receive such a call in the future, in case some third party is trying to scam Public Mobile's user base under the guise of their own name.

11 REPLIES 11

@lexingtondavid 

@AE_Collector is correct

It sounds be with only one 1

The display is probably because they used some software to dial out, that happens sometimes.

I thought you answered the phone and heard the warning 'talk is not included'... If you want to reach that number you should drop one 1.

I actually called the number and got somebody's voicemail after 5 rings, if i understood correctly the last name is Martin. Poor guy's number was probably spoofed

@lexingtondavid 

It's just an autodialer. Many telemarketers (both the legit and the scammer varieties) have become so lazy that they use IVR computer machinery to call people, requiring the target to press 1 (or whatever) to actually speak to a human agent. It escalates the normally invasive rudeness to an invasive and impersonal rudeness, I think.

Calling them back probably didn't do anything bad. The damage was already done - your number already got put onto their "active" calling lists - the moment you (or your voicemail) answered their first call.

You can register your number on the Canadian and American DNCLs, it would help vs legit telemarketers but it won't do anything to halt illegit or foreign telemarketers/scammers. Your only other options are to block the numbers on your phone (this strategy depends on the telemarketer running out of numbers to use before your phone runs out of storage space) or to change your phone number through Self-Serve.

You can flag down the @CS_Agent to (eventually) gain their attention.

Too many 1’s on the front of that number. A single 1 then the 10 digit number works for Ontario. But dialling the 1 twice would almost certainly result in the usual generic “your plan doesn’t cover talk” message that PM customers seem to get for mis-dialled calls.

Was there anything in the original call to you indicating anything about Public Mobile? If you only heard Public Mobile when you called the number back it is becasue it wasn’t a valid call as dialled.

AE_Collector

@lexingtondavid wrote:

Not quite, I believe, it was weird. When I picked it up, I heard the word "Good bye" in the robot's tone, and then nothing but silence. It was when I called the number back that I recieved the "Public Mobile" bot's speil.

@lexingtondavid oh dear, why did you call them back?  Now they got your number on their call again list.  And worst, they can find personal information from your phone number.  Just to be safe, change your password on your self serve account.  Change your name to an alias such as Mikey Mouse. If you use your phone number for bank identification, change it immediately. 

Stay safe! 

lexingtondavid

Ah, fantastic, thank you! Will do. I especially wanted other folks to know in case they too get fishy calls like this.

lexingtondavid

Not quite, I believe, it was weird. When I picked it up, I heard the word "Good bye" in the robot's tone, and then nothing but silence. It was when I called the number back that I recieved the "Public Mobile" bot's speil.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You should report it to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@lexingtondavid wrote:

I recieved a call from this number, 112896754525, and tracked it down to Ontario, but it was a robot that claimed it was from public mobile and that my plan didn't cover talk. I'm positive that my plan does, but more importantly, I'm positive that public mobile doesn't send out such calls. This is less so a question that a warning to others as well as to moderators in case anyone else should receive such a call in the future, in case some third party is trying to scam Public Mobile's user base under the guise of their own name.

is it those call saying it is VERY important.  Press 1 to talk to an agent now or so?  

At least time time, you only have "trouble" with PM and not Canada Revenue Agency.. lol

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Is it possible that it's collect call?

I've heard that if you answer the call that was collect call attempts you will hear that message as collect call doesn't work with prepaid services.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lexingtondavid wrote:

@lexingtondavid  sounds odd I don't believe it was sent from Public

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lexingtondavid wrote:

@lexingtondavid hi thanks it sounds fishy to me 

Need Help? Let's chat.