cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number from voip.ms

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just wanted to share my experience porting a number from voip.ms.

I am a new Public Mobile customer, I just joined last Fri Mar27. During the activation process, I opted to port in my number from voip.ms instead of getting a new number. And today Tue Mar31, I got an email from voip.ms about the port out request and they have released my number to the winning carrier! I didnt realize it will be that smooth and hassle free. I can now make incoming / outgoing calls and SMS works OK too.

For those who wish to do the same, this are the steps I did to make it smooth and error free -

1. Login to voipms portal and get your billing statement

2. On the Public Mobile port request, make sure that the information you are entering exactly matches the voipms billing statement.

3. Once completed, my SIM got the same number as my voipms number and I am able to place outoing calls. But incoming calls / SMS does not work.

4. I waited for 2days and once I got the confirmation from voipms about the port out request, I tested my number in Public Mobile.

5. Outgoing / incoming calls are working and SMS sending / receiving also works!

18 REPLIES 18

Here is what I have.  

I bought 2 new ones from a guy on Craigslist (1 as a spare). He was contracted to set up VoIP at Fortis BC. They work perfectly, but if you google that model will show as “end of service”. There are newer models.  The ones on eBay might be knock offs (cloned). There is a website to check to see if you have a counterfeit one. Right now I  would not buy anything on Craigslist or Kijiji etc. I have removed all my ads. If you buy one it must be an UNLOCKED model. You only need one if you want to have a physical desk phone. You don’t need one to use a smart phone as a softphone or for call forwarding. But you probably knew that already. 

ryanrudolf

@LurganIeUk 

haha those are really nice numbers! i have a need for those, gonna use it for home phone. still researching on a cheap ATA adapter.

@ryanrudolf 

LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND FOR YOU!!!

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 12.25.35 PM.png

@ryanrudolf 

If you have the need and use for an 800 number. Try getting one on voip.ms and have all calls from it sent to your Public Mobile Phone. It is easy to do. I am sure you can find an approximate cost for it on voip.ms. Your inbound calls from it to Public Mobile would be at no cost. And you can put an App called Zoiper on your phone and also set up that app to receive or make voip.ms calls over data or wifi.

ryanrudolf

@LurganIeUk 

yes my account number and account balance is still intact.

initially i want to buy a 1-800 number and then port that in to PM. not sure if PM will allow a 1-800 number to be ported so i just decided to port my existing voipms number.

@ryanrudolf 

Yes I only have 1 number with voipms. As soon as I got the email about the port out request, my number in voipms is gone already.

That make sense for sure. 

I cant make voip calls anymore.

That make sense for sure.

I can still login to the voipms website though using my old credentials and buy a new number if I want to.

That is what I thought. I assume your account and account balance will stay in place? You can buy, as you know, another DID  less than a dollar a month. 

My number from voipms is a non-vanity number although i was able to get one that ends in 8799 which I think is easy to remember. There is no fee to port out too although i verified everything with them before doing it.

Nice number and they are good to deal with for sure. 

I have Voip.ms for land line and also forward all Voip.ms calls to our mobile phones. We find that handy. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Its very important that it all matches up excactly......so check it and double check it before you hit the submit button. If its not correct , it can lead to problems that could have been avoided.

ryanrudolf

@smp99 

From what I remember during the signup process - 

name, phone number, address, zipcode

This information I know by heart already but I still pulled out my voipms billing information to make sure that it matches. Things like spaces, dashes etc etc make sure they match.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ryanrudolf 

What pieces of information did you need to supply to PM from VOIP.ms?

ryanrudolf

@LurganIeUk 

Yes I only have 1 number with voipms. As soon as I got the email about the port out request, my number in voipms is gone already. I cant make voip calls anymore. I can still login to the voipms website though using my old credentials and buy a new number if I want to.

My number from voipms is a non-vanity number although i was able to get one that ends in 8799 which I think is easy to remember. There is no fee to port out too although i verified everything with them before doing it.

@ryanrudolf  well, now you know what to do if its ever needed. And welcome to both the community and PM. 

@ryanrudolf 

Did you only have 1 number at VoIP.ms?

If yes, did VoIP.ms close your account when port out was finalized?

Did you pick a nicer number from VoIP.ms first?

ryanrudolf

@gblackma @ddeep91 

I tried to send MMS with PM data off / Fido data ON. It complains that PM data should be ON to send the MMS.

And if I turn on the data on PM sim, it becomes the default sim for data. I want Fido sim to be primary data.

I'm OK with MMS not working as I havent used that feature for more than 10yrs now lol

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ryanrudolf  data needs to be turned on for the PM sim for the MMS to go through. Even though it won't use data 🙂

@ryanrudolf  as long as data is enabled on your phone it should work. As to using data, it doesn't count against your pm data allotment.  Try sending a mms message. Who knows you may join the selfie takers.

ryanrudolf

@gblackma MMS - that is someting i havent used for a long time and something i dont intend to use. It will be a bonus if it works. I assume it uses data. I am using a dual sim device - Public Mobile sim is disabled for data and Fido is my primary data sim. Will it work on that configuration? 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ryanrudolf , Welcome to PM

Awesome!  Very easy! 

Stay safe, Stay healthy.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Great to hear @ryanrudolf  . Thanks for the success story. Now to make sure everything works try sending a mms message. 

Need Help? Let's chat.