cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Public Mobile Number into another Public Mobile Account - Doable?

jsblee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Community,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find the answer upon search. I want to save my grandfathered plan and give it to my mother who is a current PM user. Is this possible? 

12 REPLIES 12

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo gotcha, thanks for letting me know.  Guess things have changed from years ago.  But makes sense, depending on the circumstance.  Guess you'd need a really viable reason for them to approve it.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dna2016  PM at one point was able to do pm to pm ports.  but they have since said they no longer can on several occasions.  what the reasoning is I am not sure.  I guess the orriginal poster can ask but as menstioned by several people the answer will be no.  The only thing that might be in the orriginal posters favour is that  (unless it has changed) when you select to port a number it says from PM  or from another carrier.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jsblee, not sure if things have changed but when I worked with one of the Big 3 yearsssss ago I was able to port a number from one account to another that was within the same company.  Technically all you need is the phone number and account number.  Keep in mind when I did do that it did get flagged, and I was questioned on it.  Basically similar to your scenario, an older lady no longer needed a cell phone and the son wanted her plan, so we ported the son's number into his mother's plan.  After telling management the reason they were ok with it.

I suggest messaging a MOD and clearly indicate the reason for your request, then they will confirm whether it's something they can do (either business ethically allowed to, or systematically able to).  Worse case scenario, you'd have to port out to a different company, wait at least 24-48 hours, and then port it back into PM.

@jsblee wrote:

@popping@will13am@wetcoaster

Thank you all for your replies. I am aware of the consequences and I was ready to lose my number in this process. 

I will think about my options more carefully haha. 

If you are willing to lose your number, why not just give the sim card with your number to your mom?

mimmo

@jsblee  do you mind if i ask what plan you are currently on (that your mom woudl take over)   and how much you are paying? when I think grandfathered plans i immediatly think of the legasy plans which had two price increases over the past year which makes them more expensive than the $25 or $30 talk/text and talk text and data plans.  If so you would probably qualify for $3 loyalty and $2 auto pay rewards by switching to a non legasy plan.

if you have the fall promo the 4.5 3g plan is comparable, I just switched to it from koodo and really i don't notice a big difference.

@jsblee wrote:

Hi Community,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find the answer upon search. I want to save my grandfathered plan and give it to my mother who is a current PM user. Is this possible? 

Honestly, there are ways around this to get it done, but they won't do it/have a policy against it.  Sorry. This type of thing has been done by some carriers in the past but even then it was like pulling teeth.  Public Mobile will not be able to make this request happen.  They've pretty much have told us as such.

jsblee

@popping@will13am@wetcoaster

Thank you all for your replies. I am aware of the consequences and I was ready to lose my number in this process. 

I will think about my options more carefully haha. 

popping

@jsblee wrote:

@will13am Could I port my mother's number to another carrier and then port that number into my plan?

You can port your mother's number to Koodo prepaid first and port it back from koodo prepaid to PM.  Since Koodo prepaid and PM are using the same backend, you need to get moderator assistance to port it back to PM..

@jsblee wrote:

@will13am Could I port my mother's number to another carrier and then port that number into my plan?

This is possible and for your efforts, your number would be lost and your mom's account would also be lost.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@jsblee wrote:

Hi Community,

Your mother would need to port out to a different carrier and then port to your grandfathered account. Porting out is closing the current account, incurring cost for at least a SIM card and probably a cheap plan... AND you would loose your number on the grandfathered plan.

jsblee

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jsblee, what you want to do is not possible.  Porting involves transferring a phone number from one carrier brand to another.  Number movements within the brand is not possible. 

Need Help? Let's chat.