cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Fraud Protection - DID NOT RECEIVE a "validate transfer text"

macsal
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello Community!

I just activated a Public Mobile account this evening and ported a number from Koodo during the activation process - all went smoothly and without issues. 😀

This is not my first PM activation, but it is my first one since the new Port Fraud Protection began.

It seemed almost immediate that my Koodo SIM lost service.

I was, however, expecting a text to my Koodo SIM to authorize the port. I did not receive one.

I put in the Public Mobile SIM and had all calling and texting services right away. Super! 

I put the Koodo SIM back in (it is a dual slot, so both SIMs are in phone now), still no text, nor any Koodo services...so how could I receive a text anyhow?

Help Articles state:

Porting Your Number Into Public Mobile

If you are porting your number into Public Mobile, for additional security, your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer. Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.If you have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will send you an SMS with instructions on how to re-initiate the transfer by calling our Porting team.

I did call the porting line***, to inquire about the port. Representative seemed to think I should have received a text, but confirmed all looked okay and was fully ported.

Anyone else port without receiving an SMS text to validate the transfer?

6 REPLIES 6

Porting from Telus Postpaid or Prepaid, and Koodo postpaid will all result in an "instant" port to public mobile - as these companies are all internally "Telus." No verification text as would be the norm when porting in from another carrier. The port is pretty much instantaneous (maybe after 1 minute wait for the activation with port to complete)

This was the case for my wife's port from Telus prepaid in late 2019, as well as a friend who did theirs last week from Telus Postpaid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the Telus SmartHub rural internet service. It had an un-usable (no call or text) number attached to it.

I ported the number into my "dormant" account. Well...the moderators did. Of course there would be no text but it all ported just fine and closed down that part of the account immediately. I have no idea if there was anything resembling port protection.

pubwmob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported number from Koodo prepaid, did not receive SMS, just lost service right way

@macsal wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@macsal Was it a number from Koodo prepaid? I believe porting from koodo prepaid requires moderator intervention. So that could be the reason it did not go through like any other post-paid services. 

Hi @NDesai ,

No, it was a Postpaid Koodo plan, which I was able to port during the PM SIM activation process.

fyi...I also put in a ticket in with the Moderators to ask about why I did not receive a transfer validation text. 

There is a possibility that you requested the port in during business hours? In this case, text is not always sent since there is a porting department that manually looks at requests. Technically, this was an internal port since Koodo/PM porting team is the same. They rolled out multiple versions of this so we don't exactly know all scenarios when texts is sent or not.

macsal
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai wrote:

@macsal Was it a number from Koodo prepaid? I believe porting from koodo prepaid requires moderator intervention. So that could be the reason it did not go through like any other post-paid services. 

Hi @NDesai ,

No, it was a Postpaid Koodo plan, which I was able to port during the PM SIM activation process.

fyi...I also put in a ticket in with the Moderators to ask about why I did not receive a transfer validation text. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.