cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel/ Pixel XL

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Who's waiting for the new Google Phone (PIXEL XL)?

Here's what you need to know in case you are willing to buy one of those beast.

3G Band: HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - USA

HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - Global

4G Band: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 21(1500), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - Global

Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat9 450/50 Mbps or LTE Cat11 600/75 Mbps

SIM: Nano-SIM

Size: 5.5 inches (~71.2% screen-to-body ratio)

Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density)

Protection : Corning Gorilla Glass 4

CPU: Quad-core (2x2.15 GHz Kryo & 2x1.6 GHz Kryo) (SnapDragon 821)

Adreno: Adreno 530

Card Slot: No

Internal: 32/128 GB, 4 GB RAM

Camera: 12 MP, f/2.0, phase detection & laser autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash

Feature: 1/2.3" sensor size, 1.55µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection,

They say the camera on this smartphone is the best comparative with any other smartphone by the pre-production dxomark ranking

Video:2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps

Front Camera (Selfie): 8 MP, f/2.4, 1/3.2" sensor size, 1.4 µm pixel size, 1080p

WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot

USB : v3.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector

Non-removable Li-Ion 3450 mAh battery

Is a bit pricey around 900$ for 32 gb model and 1000 $ for the XL version.

The best part is that the phones will come with unlimited photo and video storage at full resolution in google cloud. 

52 REPLIES 52

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c couldn't agree more!!! Why they didn't go down the iMessage-like route of a single integrated messaging experience is beyond me.

@kav2001c  I may have figured this out.  I think they are investing heavily in RCS, which has the potentiatl to be an iMessage-like standard, except open and Apple could add it to iMessage if they ever decided to (seems unlikely).  At the very least it promises to eventually be a ubiquitous as SMS but more rich like data-based messaging services.

http://www.androidauthority.com/need-know-rcs-messaging-726687/

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-partners-many-global-carriers-help-expand-rcs-messaging-standar...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ckl wrote:

EDIT: Just did a google search and found that SMS works with Google Voice or Project Fi, but not with carrier SMS. Carrier SMS capability only works with Android devices.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/2944865?hl=en&visit_id=0-636126032816412677-1465215407&rd...

@ckl they already killed off Google Voice (no new installs) and another text app (pre-Hang Outs I forget name) but that brings number of Google apps up to 7

Mnseg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Yeah, I proceeded it from the play store and got it yesterday.

Btw I'm really enjoying it so far. Easily the quickest Android I've used.

@stonechucker I think this might be appropriate for your previous comments! Robot tongue

srlawren

@Mnseg yes the Pixel and Pixel XL are 100% compatible with PM.  I don't know if the phones will come locked or unlocked if you buy them from a carrier in Canada.  If you buy from Verizon, the US-exclusive carrier, the phone will be locked to Verizon.  The same may be true for Canadian carriers.  If that's the case, you would need to unlock a phone purchased from any carrier other than Telus or Koodo to use it with PM.

On the other hand, if you buy your phone directly from the play store in either country, it will come unlocked and can be used on any compatible network [like PM!].

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mnseg

Thanks! good to know. Smiley Happy

Ionut

@Mnseg most of the google phone are coming unlocked. Also the phone work and it's compatible with the PM network. you can try this website for further information. www. willmyphonework.net

Mnseg
This probably has been touched upon somewhere, but I'd like to be sure: does public mobile support the Pixel XL? (It's unlocked, so I assume they do, but you never know)

Rockdaddy22
I guess I stumbled upon an android love fest, remember to always use protection 🙂

Since I don't know anything about how phones work, I'll just stick to my iPhone 7 🙂

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Ionut

I use Google Assistant in Android Auto and I found it to be very precise. Anything that you ask that will return 1 result will work. So something like converting something to something else will work. It will even work with sports scores and schedules. Just about any question that returns 1 result. If you ask it a question that returns multiple results, you get a generic message that basically means "can't do that". The 1 result restriction only applies to Android Auto for obvious reasons but not for Android phones.

Ionut

I really like the new Pixel. As i said in the topic. This phone have the best camera at the moment. There's no comparation and the bonus which gave us it's incredibile. The possibility to store as much video/photo you want for your rest of your life into google cloud.

Plus i don't know if you tried but i do tried. Google Assistant it's incredibile , very precisely and way to advanced compering with Siri. 

Thanks @ckl, I appreciate your help.

i was hoping to try it on my iPhone and iPad first, to try it out before switching back to my Nexus 5.

Maybe this is a weekend experiment 🙂

Thanks to @srlawren too!

srlawren

@stonechucker @ckl Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps the ability to do that, so no.  The exception is if you have a Google Voice account set up in Hangouts, at which point Hangouts sends it via GV instead of via your carrier.  But, I don't think GV is supported in Canada, so I'm thinking you probably don't.

ckl

@stonechucker In my Hangouts app on Android, I have a hamburger menu on the top left. That's an icon with 3 horizontal lines. When I tap that, a menu slides in from the left. There should be an option called Settings. When the Settings screen shows up, one of the options is SMS. When I tap SMS, a new screen pops up. In there, there is an option that enables SMS in Hangouts along with other SMS related options like auto retrieve MMS, roaming auto retrieve, delivery reports, etc.

I'm too lazy to post screen shots, but if you want I can do that.

EDIT: Just did a google search and found that SMS works with Google Voice or Project Fi, but not with carrier SMS. Carrier SMS capability only works with Android devices.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/2944865?hl=en&visit_id=0-636126032816412677-1465215407&rd...

@ckl, do you know if the iOS app for Hangouts can do SMS too?  I've just installed it, and I'm unable to send SMS, and I don't know where to turn it on as you say, the functionality.

ckl

@srlawren I use Hangouts exclusively mainly because it brings all my messaging needs into one app. SMS still works in that app although it's not on by default. You have to tell Hangouts to handle your SMS. Aside from SMS functionality, Hangouts works on the web too, so you can have converstions in Hangouts without using your phone. All of this activity is synced to all your devices that have Hangouts so you don't miss anything when switching between them.

I agree with the others in that the apps google is coming out with (Allo, Duo, Messaging, Hangouts, etc) are all just redundant. I'd much rather have an all in one solution than having separate apps for each. That's why I still use Hangouts.

srlawren

@kav2001c I don't consider that a death sentence for WhatsApp, and I don't have a single WhatsApp contact that uses any of those discontinuing platforms.  So, a non-issue for me!  While I'm not totally opposed to FB Msngr and WhatsApp merging, I sure hope it looks and feels more like WhatsApp in the end.  Not a fan of FB Messenger and only use it when I have to.

@stonechucker believe it or not that does exist, it's called Hangouts.  (They may have removed the SMS support, I forget, but I think it's still there.).  It does all that... rich data-based messaging, SMS fallback messaging, data-based dialing on phone or on computer (via hangouts.google.com in your browser).  The problem is, few people use it.  So, it's pretty useless, unfortunately.

@srlawren That is exactly the thing.  Love XKCD.  

I use iPHone 5s right now, but I plan to return to Android sooner, rather than later.  I only went iPhone for its continuity features when I was on Wind, due to coverage.

I want to find something similar on Android, but don't think it's available yet.  Specifically, sending SMS, making voice calls, from my tablet or PC, instead of my iPhone. .  But that's off topic.

@srlawren Whatsapp is dead as of December. After that all your friends on Blackberry, Microsoft, Nokia, and older not upgradeable versions of Android get the boot

But for that matter I see no reason for keeping both Messenger and Whatsapp alive anyways since both owned by same company now. Why not pool resources on one app.

srlawren

@stonechucker yeah, everyone wants their own slice of the market, so they go proprietary and try to lock you in.  I was also a big BBM user, and actually still use it with one important to me but rather stubborn contact 🙂  I much prefer WhatsApp, and use it with most, but also have some FB Messenger, and a few SMS.  

SMS is great in that it's standardized but it's so limited in functionality.  I'd love to see a richer data-based standard and see SMS go away, but that could take yeeears.  Or maybe have apple open iMessage up to Android, that might settle the argument and become the defacto standard.  (PS I'm an Android user and don't care for iOS, but iMessage is pretty slick.)

Regarding standards, I've always loved this XKCD cartoon on the subject 🙂  

https://xkcd.com/927/

I wish everyone would stop developing their own systems, and just create a STANDARD, yes, I said STANDARD, that everyone works with.  Something like, oh I don't know, SMS.

I used to love the BBM, and yes, a ton of apps are available on all platforms for similar Delivered / Read status, and other features that may be available.  Why doesn't everyone need to reinvent the wheel?

This is like the old Instant Messaging dates of Yahoo Messenger, Hotmail Messenger, the AOL client, and whatever else was out there.  In those days, I found ICQ, and put them all in there so I didn't have to switch around anymore.  Is there anything like ICQ now I can use?

Grrr... first world tech problems....

srlawren

@kav2001c couldn't agree more!!! Why they didn't go down the iMessage-like route of a single integrated messaging experience is beyond me.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Pixel perfectly presents Google’s messaging app disaster

We’ve been watching Google’s messaging strategy of four separate apps unfold for months now. There’s Allo and Duo, the company’s mobile-only messaging and video apps for consumers, Messenger for all your Android texting needs, and Hangouts for all your enterprise and desktop video conferencing needs. Google’s Pixel phones (read our review) perfectly portray what an absolute mess this is.

Carrier nonsense aside, you basically have three Google messaging apps: one that can’t place video calls or send text messages (Allo), one that can’t send any type of message or perform group calls (Duo), and one that can only text (Messenger). To add insult to injury, the three apps not only don’t work with each other, but they also manage your contacts differently.

Does Google really think its users are going to switch between three of its messaging apps just to cover the basics of mobile communication? I’m expected to text my friends using Messenger, use Duo to call the few people who actually have it, and then also fire up Allo to message absolutely nobody. That’s, of course, on top of using Facebook Messenger, Skype, and WhatsApp?

Here’s what ends up happening instead. I continue to use Facebook Messenger the most, switching to Skype and WhatsApp occasionally. I might use Messenger for texting, if I decide not to use Facebook Messenger’s app for the same functionality. I suspect that most people also don’t bother switching from their usual messaging apps — not because Allo, Duo, and Messenger are bad apps, but because they can’t properly compete. The result is that Allo and Duo are never even launched.

That’s not all. For whatever reason, Hangouts is disabled by default on the Pixel. That’s why you don’t even see it in the images above.

The only proper way forward is to merge Duo and Messenger into Allo. This one app should be just for texting when the recipients don’t have Allo and Duo. If they do have either of those apps, then those features come to life.

The way things are now is nonsensical. And all those new Pixel users that could be helping grow Google’s new messaging platform will instead end up using anything but Google’s four apps.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/18/pixel-perfectly-presents-googles-messaging-app-disaster/

domenicocortez

900$ ??!!??!!??

Time togo with Xiaomi...

Ionut

Even do is a very expensive phone it's still worth every penny.

best camera reviewed by the dxomark raiting.

Also it's make me so happy by the new feature.

I will have Unlimit storage for video/photo  into google cloud for life.  Which is a strong point.

Also the quality of those picture/video you take are @ the full quality not reduced

And so on:) 

And btw i don't know why so many debates. The phone come unlocks.

All the google phones come unlocked no matter what. Even do they force you to go to bell/telus website if you not choose term and choose to buy it free it's still comes unlocked.

Unless you bought from Rogers which they will let they mark on the phone and later they ask 50 $ to unlock it back in the previous state: ))

Also some strong point. So many people have Iphone and they pay monthly 20-25$ for they storage . Calculating the ammount of money in the next 2-3 years you bought another phone just to keep your Picture and video into the cloud.

Also the most important thing which nobody care . Is that google is in charge for providing updates which definitely get early updates than anybody else. 

I still have an old Moto G 1 first generation which was involved into google design. And i have the latest update for a that smartphone. And for my S6 i still had to wait a long time till i get Marshmallow and so

@srlawren I edited the previous posts

XDA also confirmed ONLY Verizon version has this lockdown

Buying from Google directly you can unlock bootloade

Still shows direction they are heading with locked devices through carriers & still not happy with it

Just not as doom & gloom as I thought

Cat Indifferent

srlawren

@kav2001c here's a couple of revelant quotes...

Spoiler
Encrypted bootloader

This last point is one that probably has the smallest number of people who care but for those people has the biggest impact: Verizon will encrypt the Pixel's bootloader so you can't unlock it. Now this really shouldn't be all that surprising considering this is Verizon's policy for every phone it sells, but considering that the bootloader will be unlockable when you buy the phone SIM-unlocked, it's a bit disappointing.

If you want to unlock your Pixel's bootloader for future application of factory images, use of custom ROMs or other flashable customizations, don't even consider buying from Verizon.

and

Spoiler
The Google Store has you covered

Even if you didn't think the few extra apps, slower updates and an encrypted bootloader were a very big deal (though at least one of those should be), the biggest thing that should keep you from buying through Verizon is the availability of Google's own shopping experience.

The Google Store will sell you a Pixel or Pixel XL for the same price, with free shipping, in whatever configuration you'd like. It also offers you 24-month interest-free financing, just like Verizon will. The Pixel or Pixel XL you buy from Google directly will also still work on Verizon just fine — just pop in your SIM card and you'll be up and running in no time. The only restriction will be the lack of HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling (though I thought the Verizon network was so good you don't need Wi-Fi calling? Hm.)

srlawren

@kav2001c okay so I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that same article clearly states that the bootloader is unlockable for phones ordered direct from Google, while they are encrypted for phones bought through Verizon.  Is Android Central wrong about that?  Do you have a source of where you got that info?  

@srlawren it is a Nougat "feature" that can lock bootloader and cripple the phone. (Just in case this is unclear, this is not the same as a carrier SIM lock, you could still pop say a Public SIM inside).

But Nexus was always easy access which helped mod community to thrive. Pixel is more of a step into Apple's draconian DRM hell.

Previous Android versions (as far back as Kitkat) had locks and checks, but they never crippled the phone like this.

*edited for correction

srlawren

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren in US they are Verizon exclusive. So they all ship locked (even from Google).

Are you 100% sure about this @kav2001c?  My understanding is that Verizon has the US exclusive for carriers, but that anyone in the US can order the unlocked standard version from the Google store. If you read the article I linked earlier in this thread from Android Central, it's all about why people should order from Google instead of buying from Verizon, and it's for exactly these reasons.  

Need Help? Let's chat.