cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 and data usage

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my data. I rarely use any data at all I'm on the $15 plan but I recently went on a trip to Nova Scotia and halfway through my trip I couldn't send MMS anymore. I couldn't download pictures and I couldn't send pictures my phone kept telling me my plan data had been reached on my phone so when I got back my friend showed me I had my data limit enabled for 250 GB but when I look on my account I've only used 88mb so we looked through the settings and the only way I could download or send MMS was if I took my data limit off. My phone said I had used 250mb and I understand that MMS doesn't use plan data so why can't I send and receive MMS when my data limiter is enabled and it's at its limit? When I look through my usage from my last renewal  It says I've used 253 mb but my data counter says I've used 88mb so I'm confused why doesn't my data counter match my usage in my daily usage pages? I have only had this pixel 3 phone for about a month and my old phone never did this? Not allow me to send MMS?

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlaspapa : You have a crap ton of data for such a low usage customer. I wouldn't worry about limiters. If you do happen to use your base data then you have so much other data to cover it.

The 250MB will reset each term. As mentioned...30 days not monthly. You are over-riding that in a way with the settings on your phone...also as mentioned.

There's no mystery here.

carlaspapa

I  I was hoping someone would give me a clue as to what's going on with my data usage? For a sad scene anything like this before?

carlaspapa

Here's your screenshots of my account my daily usage pages and my add-ons usage and my overview none of them match the only thing that matches is approximately what my phone says I've used and the daily usage pages. My phone said well it stopped at 250mb and my usage pages when added up are at 239.594mb.

And my 47mb of my holiday add-on was used months ago so it doesn't count in this calculation. So I can't figure out why I have so many different figures.

Screenshot_20210810-054105~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-054038~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-054529~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-054715~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-054838~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-055011~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-055110~2.png

Screenshot_20210810-055311~2.png

carlaspapa

@esjliv 

Thanks for the suggestions. And my friend usually will remind me and I try to remember to set my reset my dates but to tell you the truth I don't get that worried about it because honestly I averaged 30 mb a month this is the first time I have even ever come close going over in almost 2 years. The data limiter is on so an app doesn't burn thru all my add on data at least that's what friend told me. Now I know how to reset the limiter  if I need to.

@carlaspapa wrote:

@computergeek541

Thank you for your reply we did reset the limiter to a higher amount and that fixed the mms problem. 

Now the other issue I'm having is I have my data tracker set to the right dates and my renewal is on August 22nd I basically used no data till I left on my trip on the 26th of July then I used it for a week till I ran out or I hit my limiter in my phone and it stopped my data but my data tracker in my phone matches my daily usage pages but it doesn't match my data counter on the overview page?

@carlaspapa 

Since Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly), it may not be very convenient to use your phone as the data tracker (unless you see it on every renewal).

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. OR, short cut your Self Serve account on your phone and see CURRENT usage on your Overview tab.

If you are android, try...

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me exactly what I need from it.

OR,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@carlaspapa wrote:

Now the other issue I'm having is I have my data tracker set to the right dates and my renewal is on August 22nd I basically used no data till I left on my trip on the 26th of July then I used it for a week till I ran out or I hit my limiter in my phone and it stopped my data but my data tracker in my phone matches my daily usage pages but it doesn't match my data counter on the overview page?

The amount used displayed on the overview page of your self serve account is the current number. There's a delay for more specific usage details.

carlaspapa

@computergeek541

Thank you for your reply we did reset the limiter to a higher amount and that fixed the mms problem. 

@carlaspapa wrote:

I'm having a problem with my data. I rarely use any data at all I'm on the $15 plan but I recently went on a trip to Nova Scotia and halfway through my trip I couldn't send MMS anymore. I couldn't download pictures and I couldn't send pictures my phone kept telling me my plan data had been reached on my phone so when I got back my friend showed me I had my data limit enabled for 250 GB but when I look on my account I've only used 88mb so we looked through the settings and the only way I could download or send MMS was if I took my data limit off. My phone said I had used 250mb and I understand that MMS doesn't use plan data so why can't I send and receive MMS when my data limiter is enabled and it's at its limit? When I look through my usage from my last renewal  It says I've used 253 mb but my data counter says I've used 88mb so I'm confused why doesn't my data counter match my usage in my daily usage pages? I have only had this pixel 3 phone for about a month and my old phone never did this? Not allow me to send MMS?

Do you mean you've set the data limit to 250MB?   250GB is much more than your plan includes. 

When it comes to your phone's reported data usage, the phone's software assumes that your plan restarts with a new data amount on the same day each month.  Your Public Mobile plan is 30 days long.  For a more accurate data count reported by your phone, you'll need to change the start date for your data counter so that it matches the first day of your current plan.  

As you've discovered, If you actually set your data limit on the device to 250MB, it will prevent you from using MMS once the phone's data counter gets to that amount.  This is by design and is not a software bug nor is it an issue with the Public Mobile service. For this limit set by your device, your phone does not know the difference between internet usage and MMS usage. If you disable the data limit amount, your MMS would start working again (if you went over the device's set data limit).

If you don't wish for your MMS to turn off in this manner, you'll need to set the device's monthly data limit higher, reset the device's data usage counters, or leave the data limit option disabled.

Need Help? Let's chat.