cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number issues

bubblyxgum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New to public mobile, and just wanted to switch my current number to this network. I don't have an alternative number, and I don't seem to have any number on my public mobile account. Im desperately in need of help.

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @bubblyxgum 

If your old provider SIM stopped working and your old account closed automatically, it means your port was successful. Try restarting your phone.

Then try calling and texting your number from another phone.

bubblyxgum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve been in stage 2 now for the last (at least 12 ) 20 or so hours. Im not too sure if I just need to be patient or if there’s something I did that created a mistake. My previous service provider had already released my number, meaning  I haven’t had service since early yesterday morning. But when I view ‘my usage’ I can see which numbers have tried messaging me. Not that I have received any of them via phone. 

Should I keep waiting? 

Either way, thanks for the helpful information and advice (:

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@bubblyxgum wrote:

New to public mobile, and just wanted to switch my current number to this network. I don't have an alternative number, and I don't seem to have any number on my public mobile account. Im desperately in need of help.

Hi @bubblyxgum you don't need an alternative number, just leave that blank.  I did.  It is optional.  Only the lines with red asterisks (*) are required.

activation-account-information

@benfatto wrote:

@bubblyxgum  Any number can be entered as the Alternate.
It can be useful to enter a number where you could be contacted if your regular number is unavailable and PM  needs to reach you. 

This will rarely happen. The only thing that I have ever heard of Public Mobile calling about with any regularity is about number porting. And honestly, Public Mobile really shouldn't be calling its customers. Can you just imagine the company who you are using for your phone services being accused of spamming its customers? That wouldn't go over well, although I do know from my experiences, Bell in particular, has been especially guilty of this.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bubblyxgum  Any number can be entered as the Alternate.
It can be useful to enter a number where you could be contacted if your regular number is unavailable and PM  needs to reach you. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @bubblyxgum 

Welcome to Public Mobile!

The alternative number is a means for PM to contact you in case there is a problem, for example with the completion of your port transfer request.

As mentioned, if you don't already have an alternative number, you can get one by installing a free VOIP app like TextNow or Fongo using WIFI.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bubblyxgum wrote:

PM does not have call center.  Support is provided by moderator on this forum.

You can activate your PM plan online with the a temporary number provided by PM.  Test the service first before porting your number to PM.  If you like the service, create a moderator support ticket to port your number to PM using the Chat button at the bottom right corner of this page.
Tell SIMon what is the issue (important) - use "port request"

FYI:  

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is from couple of hours to couple of days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@bubblyxgum wrote:

Did you activate with PM? Have you tried logging into self service?

If you need help activating use the live online chat with a rep.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

FDB2DB53-A79F-4FE1-BD19-19C00C5E3322.png

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@bubblyxgum wrote:

@bubblyxgum Where are you porting in from? Did you already activate your sim card and select "port" your old number? Did you go through the entire activate process? If you did, it can take a couple of hours for your port to complete. Your Public Mobile sim should work to make calls and send texts but until the port is complete, incoming calls and texts go to your old sim/provider. Welcome to PM.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Get allternative number with fongo or TextNow, both are great companion to pm.

For account related issues you should contact moderators https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Do you have sim for pm?

Need Help? Let's chat.