cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number Transfer

Almog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How can I transfer my phone number to a different carrier?

I tried to do it through the sim Bot which said that I should get SMS verification but I don't get any 

14 REPLIES 14

@Almog 

This is on the Freedom Website. You must be dealing with a goof!!!!

Can I transfer my current phone number?

Yes, you can! Keeping your number when you move from one phone service provider to another is called “porting” and it’s an easy process. Both mobile numbers and landlines can be ported.

How do I transfer my number?

Do not cancel your existing service. Instead, request that your current number be transferred over to us. You can do this at one of our stores if you’re activating a new service, or through Customer Care. Contact Us on your preferred platform.

To make the request, you will need to have the following information about the account with your current provider (we suggest using a bill from them):

1. Your phone number
  2. Account number
  3. Name of the account holder
  4. Billing address

IMPORTANT: DO NOT cancel your current phone number – we will take care of that for you when we transfer your number.

Keeping your number safe

Once a transfer request is submitted for your number, you'll receive either an SMS or email from your current service provider to authorize the transfer.

You’ll need to keep your phone powered on with your current service provider’s SIM card active to receive the authorization SMS. Once you receive the SMS, respond “Yes” to complete the transfer or “No” to cancel the transfer request. If you do not respond to the SMS or email within 90 minutes the transfer request will cancel automatically.

Didn’t receive an authorization SMS or email? If you didn’t receive an authorization SMS or email, you’ll need to contact your service provider to authorize the transfer.

IMPORTANT: Beginning November 16, 2020, Port Protection will be replaced by the authorization process mentioned above.

Limitations

Although it's generally an easy process to port your number, there are a few factors that might prevent it. For example, if you've already disconnected your service with your previous provider, then that number won't be yours to take with you anymore. Also, your current number must have an area code that is available within areas that we service. One of our representatives can help you to determine this if you are not sure.

Using iMessage (Apple) or RCS (Android)

If you’re porting your number, we recommend setting up iMessage and RCS after your number has successfully transferred over.

If you’re also switching from an iPhone to an Android or vice versa, remember to deregister iMessage or disable RS (turn chat features off) respectively, to ensure your messaging service is not interrupted when changing devices.

@Almog wrote:

Freedom

@Almog is your public mobile account current Active (as @CountyDownIeUk already mentioned) ?

If not, you will need to make a payment to reactivate it, best to change plan to the $15 one first (if not already) then add to what is owing, to save $s.

Almog

Freedom

@Almog wrote:

They said that they can't do that and I need to co tact PM

@Almog 

Who is the new carrier?

@Almog wrote:

Did that and still they cant port the number, so they told me to contact PM

No, it is always the new provider initiate the port.  The old one cannot start the porting process

Which carrier is that?  maybe you should rethink to join them or not. 

@Almog wrote:

That's terrible and as it's your new carrier who should be contacting Public Mobile to make any and all arrangements.  You are paying them to handle this.

@Almog wrote:

How do i create a note of the account number?

You could write it down, copy and paste it into a word processing document, or even take a picture of it.

Almog

@Almog wrote:

@Almog I meant copy down the account number as you need to give it to the new provider for porting

The account number is on the top right after you login to My Account

E-MyAcct-AcctNum.png

Almog

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Almog   are you trying to port OUT of PM to another provider

if so, you just need to login to My Account, make note of the account number

Then you activate with the new provider and ask them to port the phone number from PM .  You will need to provide them the PM account number and the phone number 

Almog

They said that they can't do that and I need to co tact PM

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

That’s an exercise in futility (the BOT).  

Yes you can. Keep your PM account active....paid up. 

Find another carrier of choice, sign up, port your number into new carrier. Leave your PM SIM in phone until you are texted asking for your approval to port number away  from PM. Porting out will close account. You may want to remove your payment information from your PM account. . 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Almog hi who ever you are going with has to initiate the port request 

Need Help? Let's chat.