cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone frequently loses service

kotsy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've noticed a lot over the last few weeks when I'm driving that my phone goes in and out of service.100% service to nothing at all (Emergency Phone Calls Only) for 5-10 minutes at a atime. I'm as far east as Ajax, ON but it happens often while I'm right in Toronto driving.

I'm not sure if it happens when I'm on foot too. I only notice when I'm driving because I'm usually using a GPS app and can see easily see when it's not in service.

6 REPLIES 6

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My niece noticed this with her iPhone 6 while on PM and after porting to Koodo.

I don't have this problem on my iPhone 6s (running the same iOS as my neice's iPhone 6) so it may be hardware issue in my neice's case.

shadowbanker

What kind of phone is it? Sounds more like a software glitch especially if you notice it happening when another app is using location services. I've driven along that corridor on the 401 and never had any issues with connectivity. GTA is pretty solid with all carriers except Freedom who have by large the biggest pockets where you lose service once you step outside Toronto.

Cookie72
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have friends in Ajax that experience the same thing when they use their phones. Sometimes I am on a Whatsapp call with them and it automatically drops randomly. We blamed it on bridges on the 401 but it may just be random dead spots between cities. They find it a lot better west of Toronto, but they have resulted to using their GPS on and off in busy traffic areas or when taking an exit. 

Orz

Have you tried putting the sim into another phone to see whether reception gets better? Just ruling out the obvious that the hardware (phone) may also be the culprit. Not likely but possible.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kotsy, I haven't been in the city this past week but I am totally familiar with the locales you mention.  I am not aware of too many places that have really poor coverage to the point is causing signal drops.  I would suggest checking whether the problem is with your phone.  The GTA is too large for any network problems to go unnoticed and not repaired quickly.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Sorry, I think that your topic was buried down the list by someone else spamming the new topics section because of frustration.  

Have you checked the map of the cell phone towers in the areas that you were traveling?  Some areas are better served by Rogers, while others Telus/Bell.  

Need Help? Let's chat.