cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatibility ?

wingman42
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I have a very old ( ancient ) Motorola phone which I would like to use. It’s a Model G 3RD Generation XT1540 Printed on the box that it came in: “ Moto G 3rd Gen W/LTE unlocked” So far, I haven’t been able to find info that would give me a definite answer. I’ve checked a couple of websites and get conflicting information. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

@wingman42 wrote:
I have a very old ( ancient ) Motorola phone which I would like to use. It’s a Model G 3RD Generation XT1540 Printed on the box that it came in: “ Moto G 3rd Gen W/LTE unlocked” So far, I haven’t been able to find info that would give me a definite answer. I’ve checked a couple of websites and get conflicting information. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Simplifying things when it comes to band comaptibility or testing the phone out, the XT1540 is the same variant of the Moto G 3rd Gen. that was distributed in Canada, including by Telus.  Compatibility isn't a question.  Assuming that phone is properly working and also asuming that the sticker on the box is accurate about it being unlocked, there's no reason for it not to work at Public Mobile.  Although this isn't a factor yet as Public Mobile does not have VoLTE, this device does not support VoLTE.  

@wingman42 wrote:

Great Idea!  Thanks.

self solution removed

Don't forget to use a referral code during activation to get a $10 credit.

wingman42

Great Idea!  Thanks.

@wingman42   Borrow the sim card from your friend on Telus and Koodo and PM.  They all use the same network and it's a good test

Or go to Koodo and Telus store for some "help", tell them you are considering to join them (don't tell them you are actually thinking of PM), and ask them to test the phone for you with their SIM cards

wingman42

Thanks for the many responses!

Right now I’m not a subscriber to PM but I’ve ordered a SIM. Should get it in a couple of days.   

Question: Is there a way to test the phone to see if it works before signing up? I’ll be transferring over my phone number and wouldn’t want any problems or glitches.

Thanks.

@softech- Newer phones you need to corroborate or even go to the manufacturer. But older phones, gsmarena will be solid. I've never trusted kimovil.

Adding - and an edit happens.

@dust2dust   

My conclusion was basing on   both GSMarean and .bhphotovideo.com

those said no probably got it from Kimovli

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So two replies say yes, one reply says no.

dust2dust_1-1658188969026.png

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@wingman42   

The XT1540 is a US variant of the Moto G

YES.  you phone should work on PM

here are the frequencies on your phone, BOLD are compatible bands

HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - XT1540

4G  2, 4, 5, 7, 17 - XT1540

and this is the full list of bans used by PM :

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.. And your phone meets the minimum requirements 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz (band 5), 1900 MHz (band 2) and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

As long as phone supports these frequencies, it should work. Ideally, try PM SIM in that phone to be 100% sure.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

https://willmyphonework.net/

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@wingman42 

your device will working with public mobile

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Looks like it should be alright for talk. It might be a little light on LTE but you can probably get by.

Need Help? Let's chat.