cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting and Referral Credit

Thecrimson1919
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I may be setting up an account for my boyfriend soon and I read that when porting a number it may be better to activate with a temporary number and then port the number .

A) Will this really help and how? I assume there would still be a delay in the porting process where I only have partial service when I initiate it until it's done.

B) If I did this and used my number for referral but then he changes his number, will it mess up the referral credit?

3 REPLIES 3

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Thecrimson1919 wrote:

I may be setting up an account for my boyfriend soon and I read that when porting a number it may be better to activate with a temporary number and then port the number .

A) Will this really help and how? I assume there would still be a delay in the porting process where I only have partial service when I initiate it until it's done.

B) If I did this and used my number for referral but then he changes his number, will it mess up the referral credit?

Some people have had issues when they tried to activate and port all at once, so the suggestion is to activate the Public Mobile number/SIM card first.  Make sure everything is working fine, then port in the number within a few days, or as soon as everything checks out.  

The referral is tied to the accounts, so even if he ports in his number from another carrier later on, the referral credits will be fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thecrimson1919 

- The reason it is sometimes recommended to take a temporary number, and port in your old number later is that you would be able to make sure everything works before moving the number over.  Then, when you initiate the port, your old SIM will keep working until the port is done.  Then, you switch to your new (PM) SIM.

- There should be no issues with the referral bonus/credit due to the number port after the initial sign-up.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It is suggested in case there is an issue with activation or the portal.  You Dan port 5 minutes after activating if you want. 

No it will not accept your referal 

Need Help? Let's chat.