cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now this is frugal 😎

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

I have been using speakout7eleven as my emergency backup at a cost of $25/year (calls 30¢/min, incoming/outgoing SMS free/15¢, no data).

But now I have an exotic plan that will only cost $1/year to maintain. How is that feasible you may well ask?

It's like this. I have been using giffgaff.com when I visit the UK and they just reduced their roaming data fee in NA to 20p/MB (about 35¢) but you must send an SMS every 6 months to maintain your account -  incoming are free but outgoing are 30p (50¢). Fongo for calling uses about 1 MB/min, so calling should cost around 35¢/min - about the same as Speakout. https://www.giffgaff.com/international

Unfortunately it does cost about $15 to set up an account so it will be 15 years before you pay again if you never make a call !!!!

BTW: their SIMs are free and deliverable to Canada BUT if you let me order it for you I get a 5£ credit if you open an account. Another 7.5 years of emergency coverage for me! I'll really be in my dotage by then. Robot LOL

AND if Brexit tanks the £, it will be even cheaper!!! Robot LOL

SORRY I just remembered that if wish to try this DO NOT buy a goodybag, purchase Airtime Credit.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
3 REPLIES 3

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i keep a knowroaming sim card as backup, $10 for the sim and free whatsapp usage anywhere in the world.

I also have a couple freedompop for out of canada uses

Dan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

With the new rules coming in effect in June 2017 in the EU (which still covers the UK for at least 2 years), the likelyhood is that SIM cards that are in roaming for 4 months or more will have their data roaming disabled for a year for not being back home. See here for more details:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/European_Union

I do not think this is a good investement at this time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Please explain why an emergency backup plan is required.

Need Help? Let's chat.