cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

vikingz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all, I recieved my sim in the mail, activated it online etc.  My account shows it is active.  I put the sim in my phone and I have no service.  I did not port a number, I just asked for a new one.  I have waited two hours now and have restarted the phone numerous times to no avail.  I did check to see if my phone was compatable and it is.  No my phone is not locked to my previous carrier (rogers).  I tried resetting the the network in advanced settings on the phone with no luck.  I put my old sim in and I am still able to use my rogers account (which I should be able to as I did not port the number).  Is there anything else I haven't tried?  Should I be more patient or was 2 hours enough and it should be working by now?  Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

vikingz

Everything worked out, the Mod was able to help and i was up and running in about a day.  I have the 6gb lte plan and so far no complaints.  There is a definite speed difference from rogers LTE.  Running a speed test at my house on Rogers I was downloading at approximately 21Mbps, with public mobile I am between 4 and 5 Mbps.  I have no idea why that is, since both companies would be using the same tower where I live and yes my phone was actually on LTE.  Thats a huge difference if you ask me but I can live with it considerring how much I am saving.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hei guys!

We are happy to have you in the Public Mobile fam. 

Cheers!:)

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@vikingz wrote:

My phone is 4g lte and it was set to automatic.  I contacted the moderator team and a very nice person let me know that "Unfortunately  your activation could not go through properly on the back end of our platform, generating some errors that are blocking the service communication between our network and your device."  They are working on it and said I should hear from them today about fixing the issue.  I personally read a lot of posts before switching and there were some people who really had a lot of negative things to say.  I cannot understand why, the community has been great trying to help and the moderator "Roxana" was very polite, understanding and helpful.  Thanks everyone.

Sadly no one posts positive experiences anymore... We only see the challenges. The way it is these days.

I have had a great experience so far as well.

vikingz

My phone is 4g lte and it was set to automatic.  I contacted the moderator team and a very nice person let me know that "Unfortunately  your activation could not go through properly on the back end of our platform, generating some errors that are blocking the service communication between our network and your device."  They are working on it and said I should hear from them today about fixing the issue.  I personally read a lot of posts before switching and there were some people who really had a lot of negative things to say.  I cannot understand why, the community has been great trying to help and the moderator "Roxana" was very polite, understanding and helpful.  Thanks everyone.

@geopublic wrote:

@vikingz wrote:

Thank you, I just sent them a message.

While you are waiting for the moderators of you Dial *#*#4636*#*# on your phone, select Phone Information does it show Public Mobile under current network?

Also a couple more things to check from the phone information screen;

Voice network type

Data network type

Preferred network type

Can you please post what they are?

@vikingz wrote:

It says mobile network not available

By any chance is the message "selected network unavailable"?  I know you tried checking the network settings, but that type of message is shown sometimes when a specific network has been manually selected.  Try setting the Network Operating setting to automatic.  It's also possible that the phone might be set to only use 2g network, a network type that Public Mobile doesn't have.

If none of that helps, it's probably time to do a factory reset (since I think you've already tried a network settings reset).  Be sure to back up any files and infromation and any user content that you wish to/need to keep before doing this, because factory resetting erases all user content.

If none of that works, it's time to contact the moderators as mentioned earlier. That can be done by clicking this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Dogbert wrote:

@vikingz wrote:

It is making good contact, tried checking the number in my account but it only shows the last 4 digits.  Is there somewhere I should specifically look for it?

Would your phone be an iPhone?

I've heard issues with iPhone's coming from Rogers/Fido working with PM.

Sorry, don't have much experience with iPhone's with this regard.

@vikingz said earlier that the phone is a Nexus 6p.  In any event, iPhones from Rogers or Fido would be running the same software as a Telus/Koodo version. Anyways, the fact that this person has a Nexus device means that it is already unlocked, so at least that has been ruled out for this person.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@vikingz wrote:

It is making good contact, tried checking the number in my account but it only shows the last 4 digits.  Is there somewhere I should specifically look for it?

Would your phone be an iPhone?

I've heard issues with iPhone's coming from Rogers/Fido working with PM.

Sorry, don't have much experience with iPhone's with this regard.

vikingz

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There's a chance that your SIM isn't making good contact (try taking out and re-insert a few times, you should be able to see a bit of a wear mark if it's making good contact) or you may have made a mistake in entering the 15 digit SIM number (double check your 15 digits online).

Good Luck!

vikingz

Will do, thanks everyone for the help

@vikingz wrote:

Ok you are going to have to wait for the moderators to fix it.

vikingz

vikingz

It was a nice try but it didnt work 😞 

@vikingz wrote:

While you are waiting for the moderators of you Dial *#*#4636*#*# on your phone, select Phone Information does it show Public Mobile under current network?

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

While you are waiting for help from MOD, you can also try lost/stolen trick as follow:

1. Login to your self serve account.
2. Click on "Plan and Add-Ons" tab.
3. Click on "Lost/Stolen Phone" tab.
4. Click on "Suspend Service" button.
5. Logout and wait for a few mins.
6. Login again and get back to the "Lost/Stolen Phone" tab.
7. Click on "Resume Service" button.
8. Restart your phone.

vikingz

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vikingz wrote:

Hello all, I recieved my sim in the mail, activated it online etc.  My account shows it is active.  I put the sim in my phone and I have no service.  I did not port a number, I just asked for a new one.  I have waited two hours now and have restarted the phone numerous times to no avail.  I did check to see if my phone was compatable and it is.  No my phone is not locked to my previous carrier (rogers).  I tried resetting the the network in advanced settings on the phone with no luck.  I put my old sim in and I am still able to use my rogers account (which I should be able to as I did not port the number).  Is there anything else I haven't tried?  Should I be more patient or was 2 hours enough and it should be working by now?  Thanks.

Activation should be immediate sounds like they're is something wrong and you will need to send the @CS_Agent a private message for further investigation.

You can also try the lost/stolen trick to see if that fixes your issue.

vikingz

huawei

vikingz

Yes i checked there as well.  Its google nexus 6p by huwea (spelling).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingz wrote:

Which exact make/model phone is it?

Did you check willmyphonework.net?

Need Help? Let's chat.