cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data in Canada after trip to the USA with roaming add on

allan14333
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We drove to USA yesterday on a same day trip. so I purchased a 250MB usa roaming add-on. On my trip back from usa, once I crossed the border and came back to canada, I lost the data access, after endless reboots, it was not working. but I can still make phone call or text message at the moment though. After 4-5 hours, the data access get fixed by itself. It seems the transition from at&t to Public Mobile took a while, it really a big inconvenient for me. Luckily my friend, who did not purchased a Roaming plan still have the data access. So my suggestion to everyone is be prepared to bring GPS for backup or use another phone for navigation when driving to USA.

17 REPLIES 17

Eianz

Don't know if its the profile setting or the carrier causing this but on a friend suggestion i tried these at&t apn settings and it bring me back to the default where i can enjoy my data and roaming 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@elle0elle wrote:

In case someone comes across this issue in the future. I got the data to work now. It appears that my european sim card created a profile in my iPhone and after resetting the carrier settings, it was not removed. You will need to manually delete the carrier profile and then the data will work again!

Small rant:  people always say things "just work" on Apple products, but of course there are always gotchas like this.  Coincidentally, using a European SIM in my Android phone (OnePlus 5T), I did not have to do anything at all when returning back to Canada except changing the active SIM slot back from 2 to 1.  Easy peasy.  It just worked!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice.  

That is something I was not aware of as a troubleshooting step. Good to know

elle0elle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In case someone comes across this issue in the future. I got the data to work now. It appears that my european sim card created a profile in my iPhone and after resetting the carrier settings, it was not removed. You will need to manually delete the carrier profile and then the data will work again!

elle0elle

Yup, that was the first thing I did. I started my cycle last week while I was away and there was no data usage on my account at all. It is currently topped up as all my other services work..such as texting and calling people. Just no data! 

smp99

Yep. Screen shot is the same as my settings. I can also see public mobile at the top. Did you log into your account to see how much data is left and your next renewal date. 

elle0elle

please see screenshot @wetcoaster @stonechucker @smp99

elle0elle

Please see screenshot. image1.pngimage2.png

smp99

can you take a screen shot of your APN settings - something does not make sense

elle0elle

Yup, already did that! I changed it back accordingly to the iphone apn settings for public. My sisters have public as well and they did not have any issues which is very weird. I went into my account and I have funds in there already and did not go over my GB for this period. Not sure what's up.

Hello @elle0elle, it sounds like you may need to reset your APN settings, as you were using a different SIM while away.

Please check the knowledge base for information on setting these values.

@elle0elle wrote:

I'm also experiencing the same thing! I was in Europe and using another sim card but switched back to my Public Mobile sim upon arriving in Canada and everything seems to be working except the data. It's driving me nuts because it's been well over 12 hours now. 

Since Public Mobile doesn't have international roaming this has to do with your phone's settings.

Turn data roaming off, reset network settings, restart your phone, check APN?

elle0elle

I'm also experiencing the same thing! I was in Europe and using another sim card but switched back to my Public Mobile sim upon arriving in Canada and everything seems to be working except the data. It's driving me nuts because it's been well over 12 hours now. 

MacMe

I've read that sometimes you need to manually select the mobile carrier (AT&T or T-mobile) if you have issues connecting.

Also, if you have GPS on your phone, you can download maps offline before your trip.

allan14333

I did everything, it did not work. but the problem resolved by itself afterwards.

smp99

Yes- I think others have experienced similar things. Usually people who have bought a text roaming package can't text for a short time upon returning. This is the first time I have heard about a data only. 

In every case, it seems to fix itself within a few hours, typically 6-8, and to my knowledge there has never been a good explanation for this.

vp6853

I have never used PM roaming data, so I don't have experience.  What if, after you crossed the border, you manually changed it to PM and turned off roaming data?

Need Help? Let's chat.