cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newfoundland Coverage

Linfield77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anyone here use public mobile in Newfoundland, particularly Gander? Curious how the service is.

5 REPLIES 5

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've used PM in Newfoundland but mainly on the Avalon Peninsula.   My fellow travelers were using Fido and Rogers and my service was more consistent than theirs.  Hope that helps.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Linfield77 

Gander has telus/koodo/public mobile coverage supplied by the 4 bell towers around town with 3 out of the 4 towers have the 700mHz, 850mHz, 1900mHz and 2100mHz bands available making coverage look pretty good. You may find some areas in Newfoundland lack 3G coverage needed for voice calls but there is a workaround for that until VOLTE is implemented for public mobile customers hopefully by the end of this year.

Public Mobile Sim cards are only available for sale at one telus corporate store in St John's. Best to order online from public mobile where they are currently BOGO free. Shipping via Canada Post is at least 5 business days (7 days) and occasionally much longer?

You can ask koodo and telus customers about their service but keep in mind if they have a postpaid plan they will likely have VoLTE calling so it would not necessarily be representative of your voice calling with public mobile. In areas without 3G network connectivity you would need to have pre-emptively call forwarded your pm phone # to a voip provider phone # (like textnow or fongo) using the unreachable setting so that when out of a 3G network coverage area your pm calls will ring thru to the voip provider app on your phone while on wifi or mobile data. (0.5mb=1min)

Screenshot_20221025-023144_Chrome~2.jpg

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Linfield77 

Gander seems to have Telus coverage as per coverage map: 

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/network/coverage-map 

Members living in this area could comment about actual coverage.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Linfield77 , for real world experience ask people you know about their experience with Telus or Koodo service.  These are sister brands. 

@Linfield77 wrote:

Anyone here use public mobile in Newfoundland, particularly Gander? Curious how the service is.

While I have no first hand experience, I can confirm for you that Gander does have network coverage.  As always, the ability to use and quality of such services can vary greatly based on the exact location.

Need Help? Let's chat.