cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user, can't send or receive text messages

TheQuietOne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Activated my Public account yesterday, and ported in my old phone number from my old provider. Data and phone calls and apps have all worked right away, but I'm unable to send or receive any text messages, and I can't locate anything which tells me if I'm checking the right settings.

I've received 2 messages saying: "Public Mobile here: To complete your request to move to Public Mobile, please go to Publicmobile.ca, click Contact Us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. You'll need to provide the correct ESN/MEID from your previous service provider. Thanks"

I can't locate that tab/link under my account.

I'm on a Blackberry phone. When I go to text messages --> settings ---> text messages --> advanced, I have the following:

MMSC URL:  http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

Proxy URL: 74.49.0. 18:80

Proxy Username: (blank)

Proxy Password: (blank)

Any help appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

waterotter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can send a text message (at least it says it's delivered) but the recipient doesn't receive the text msg. I don't yet know if I can receive a text msg back.

I'm subscribed to unlimited international texting and Province-wide calling.

Can somebody help me with this, please?
 @Kaba_C or any other admin/mod?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TheQuietOne Great to hear and thanks for posting back. 

Welcome  to PM. Glad  kaba_c  was able to solve the issue quickly.

mimmo

Great to hear and thanks for posting back. 

Welcome  to PM. Glad @Kaba_C  was able to solve the issue quickly.

TheQuietOne

Thank you to moderator @Kaba_C for solving the issue almost instantly! The problem was a failed port of the phone number due to an incorrect password.

Problem solved. Fantastic welcome to the Public community, thank you all for trying to help!

TheQuietOne

No the issue has not been fixed. But I contacted the moderators with the info and hopefully it will help soon.

I removed the 'solution' tag, sorry for confusion.

The only credits I have in my account are my autopay credits. Otherwise I can't find anything in my portal which explains why text would not be working, or the steps to check to see how it should work.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

So the issue is fixed?  What was the problem?

mimmo

Occasionally the portal will give the wrong plan, when this happens your plan (displayed in self serve ) will have a missing feature and above that you will see available funds (if missing a feature) else funds will be 0.

I would pop your sim in a different phone to test hardware issue vs account issue.

If it is an account issue then message the mods.  Sorry not a bb user so that is the limit of my help.

Contact the Moderator_Team by clicking here.

In your message include:
- account email address , pin number if possible
- PM phone number
- explanation of what is happening or a link to this thread
- if its a porting issue include your sim number, old account name and account number

Other than having notifications turned off for your text mesaging application or having messages from a specific message blocked, there aren't any settings on your phone that would cause phones calls and data to work but for incoming text messages not to work.

The settings that you mentioned earlier are only for multmedia messages.  Those settings don't even need to be set at all or could even be incorrect and text messaging would still work.

The setting that controls text messaging is the SMS Service Centre setting.  This setting be set incorectly would cause the inability to send outgoing text messages. However, this setting being wrong, once again, would not prevent incoming text messages.

This isn't something that you can fix yourself.  You will need help from a Public Mobile employee as this is an issue specific to your account and/or with the porting of your phone number.

TheQuietOne

Yes my plan has the Unlimited International Text.

Not sure what you mean/where to look regarding "finds showing"?

mimmo

@TheQuietOne i@@ you log into self serve does it show texting as part of your plan? Do you have any available finds showing?

Need Help? Let's chat.