cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Public Mobile, compatibility issues

Keys9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey there, new to Public Mobile, just getting set up -

Before doing anything I checked to see if my phone was compatible (checked IMEI) and got the OK go.

Ordered SIM card, registered online, registered credit card, payment was taken (as it would appear on my account), and modified all my data settings, and activated. 

Basically now my phone is permanently set to "Emergency Calls Only" - can't access aps, anything.

Went ahead and checked on https://willmyphonework.net/ after the fact (link wasn't recommended until after I'd registered) for my phone's compatibility - it's an old Samsung Galaxy Trend Lite G7390 - and go figure, according to the site, it's not compatible. 

Am I missing something? Is the phone really not compatible even after checking IMEI?

Do I now need to buy a new phone?

As I'm writing this, I also see that the payment to Public Mobile on my credit card statement is pending. Could this also explain? 

If I need to buy a new phone, someone just tell me which phone under $100 will work. 

&@%$(

11 REPLIES 11

Yiatiohi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You could buy a used iPhone 5s for around  $100  - 

luckee7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PC Mobile has some good prices on prepaid phones. All will be unlocked and usable here (not sure on flip phone).

Would recommend Motorola G5 which is also available at Costco.

Keys9

Cheers @Korth, the issue at hand was actually that I could not even access the menu to make changes - all buttons unresponsive. Simply a keypad on the screen. It may as well have been frozen.

I've had to figure how to factory reset the thing and now at least it functions as something. 

And now I can move on from this whole thing all together. 

Thanks for your help!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@LEGO wrote:

@Keys9 It has nothing to do with payment pending. It is GSM only phone and not compatible with Public Mobile. Sorry, but you would have to buy another phone.

1.jpg

@Keys9 this is the correct answer.  Samsung Galaxy Trend Lite S7390 is incompatible with the PM (Telus) network.  The hardware uses wrong protocols and wrong frequencies/bands, no amount of modding or meddling with software will make it compatible.

911 (and perhaps E911) emergency calling is available on every cellphone.  This is a built-in requirement (regulated by the FCC and the CRTC) which basically uses different protocols reserved for this specific purpose.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would think your phone is still locked by your previous mobile provider. Try to insert your old SIM card and see if this would resolve your issue.

Keys9

Gotya. Learning. Thank you. 

However, how do I explain (and fix) that my phone is now locked seemingly beyond hope in "emergency calls only" state?

LEGO

@Keys9 It has nothing to do with payment pending. It is GSM only phone and not compatible with Public Mobile. Sorry, but you would have to buy another phone.

1.jpg

@Keys9 Pending means it has not yet been posted to your account, but will shortly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

DL00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My dad had the same thing happen. I found some great deals on unlocked phones that were refurbished at factorydirect.ca. 

It shipped super fast. I ordered it on the weekend and  it arrived Monday.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Any current phone sold in Canada should be compatibe. I would go to Walmart /best buy a get prepaid Telus phone.

As for the pending not sure.

meocon

Did you try to check at to make sure your phone IMEI is not blacklist if it's blacklisted you have to buy a new phone https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ Also $100 phone works well with Public Mobile. Hope that help

Need Help? Let's chat.