cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Setup - Setup new Number but port old number tomorrow?

MagFhinn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it ok to setup a new account with a new phone number, then tomorrow get the existing number ported over? I'm switching my parents over to PM and giving them new phones that I want to be good to go when we meet up tomorrow. I just don't want to cut off their existing phone until after I give them their new phones.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@MagFhinn wrote:

Is it ok to setup a new account with a new phone number, then tomorrow get the existing number ported over? I'm switching my parents over to PM and giving them new phones that I want to be good to go when we meet up tomorrow. I just don't want to cut off their existing phone until after I give them their new phones.

Cheers

Use account number only unlesss they are with Speakout. Using more info can cause issues.  When  you port, incoming calls go to old company until done. When old carrier service stops, porting is all done.

SriS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, It is the best way to do.
Verify the network with the new phone and then port  the existing number.

Note: Please make sure the existing number/account is active until the porting.
2019-03-29 14_32_54-Public Mobile - Phone number change.png

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MagFhinn wrote:

Is it ok to setup a new account with a new phone number, then tomorrow get the existing number ported over?

Yes! In fact, that is probably the best/safest approach in most cases, and the strategy I recommend to new PM members! Porting the number can happen at any time, so this allows you to test/verify PM suitability/compatibility without committing.

Need Help? Let's chat.