cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM Card

wanda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning:

I ordered a new SIM card for my husband.  Updated his plan.  I received a message that the new plan would be valid starting May 21, 2019.  

I assumed that his old SIM card would still work but it does not.  How do I get his new SIM card activated immediately?

I went online but couldn't get it activated.

Thanks

Wanda

8 REPLIES 8

@wanda wrote:

What I was trying do was - my husband has a really old phone.  I got him a new one, ordered a new sim card and updated his plan because he needs to go online send pics etc. for work.

So I went online and updated his plan so he could have all the things he needs, registered his new SIM card, paid for the upgrade and the message said it would update on May 21st.  

That was fine with me because I thought his old phone would still work until May 21st., but I was wrong.  

Now I want to have his new SIM card activated right now but I don't know how to do this?

Thanks

As z10user4 was saying, the plan change has nothing to do with the change in sim card. 

The new sim card is already activated, and that's why the old one no longer works. 

The plan being set to take effect on May 21st means that the new features of the new plan will not be available until that date.  As geopublic was metioning, you can choose to make the new plan start immediately, but you will lose everything already paid for the old plan.

The old phone and old plan will still work if you decide to leave the plan change to take effect May 21st, but you need to insert the new Public Mobile sim card that you said was already registered to into your old phone  The other option is to use the new sim card in the new phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wanda 

I'm still not clear on what all you were trying to do. Perhaps there're some misunderstandings going on on how things work.

You had an old phone with a working Public Mobile service.

You got a new phone. - it's at this point that all you would have needed to do was to move the SIM over to the new phone. If it's a different size and it wasn't the tri-punch type of SIM then you get another card and use the Change SIM function in the self-serve. Doing so would kill the original SIM.

The plan and changes thereof would have no bearing on the SIM.

wanda

Thank you for your help.  I have sent an email as you suggested.

Thanks again

@wanda wrote:

What I was trying do was - my husband has a really old phone.  I got him a new one, ordered a new sim card and updated his plan because he needs to go online send pics etc. for work.

So I went online and updated his plan so he could have all the things he needs, registered his new SIM card, paid for the upgrade and the message said it would update on May 21st.  

@wandaWhen you say registered his new card I'm assuming you did use the change SIM card option so the new SIM card replaced the old sim card. That would explain why the old sim card will not work with the old phone anymore.

That was fine with me because I thought his old phone would still work until May 21st., but I was wrong.  

Now I want to have his new SIM card activated right now but I don't know how to do this?

What you need to do is to remove the plan change that you setup to take effect on the 21st of May and create a new plan change to take effect immediately. Please note that by doing so that you will lose what you have paid for the existing plan. You also have to make sure that you have enough funds in your account to cover the new plan change.

Thanks

wanda

Thanks

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@wanda wrote:

Good morning:

I ordered a new SIM card for my husband.  Updated his plan.  I received a message that the new plan would be valid starting May 21, 2019.  

@wanda Updating an existing plan does not require a new SIM. When updating plans you have the choice to have take effect immediately or on the next renewal date. I'm assuming in your case it was set to take effect on the next renewal date because of the May 21, 2019 date.

I assumed that his old SIM card would still work but it does not.  How do I get his new SIM card activated immediately?

You are correct the old SIM should work. If there is an issue with the account the new SIM will not fix the issue. How do you know the problem is related to the SIM?

You will not be able to activate a new SIM using an existing account. You would need to login to the account and select the "Change SIM card" option but honestly I don't think that would resolve the problem. If you are having issues with your account it is recommended that you click here and contact the Public Mobile Team. 

The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Wanda

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@wanda wrote:

Good morning:

Thanks

Wanda

Log in self service account, on My Profile right side, click "change my Sim card"

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@wanda, I am a little confused on what you are trying to do.  I assume that since your husband already has a plan, the new SIM card is intended to be used as a replacement for an existing SIM card that is associated with the current plan.  If this is the case, you can simply login to the self serve and do a SIM card change.  The change SIM card link is at the bottom of the my profile box in the overview tab. 

Need Help? Let's chat.