cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network coverage in Norther ON

rdb91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'll be traveling from Toronto to Calgary next week.  Checked PM coverage and there seem to be 3 areas not covered:

1. Sault Ste Marie to Wawa (not 100% is without coverage, but the biggest chunk will be here)

2. Wawa to Marathon

3. Marathon to Terrace Bay

The remainder of the way seems to be covered.

Anyone did a similar drive and have real life experience?  I'm okay being without coverage for a short time but need to understand how long it will be (the coverage maps don't seem to be to scale).

7 REPLIES 7

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good to know. Thanks for the information. 🙂

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Looks like there are significant gaps like you mentioned, Bell/Telus just don't have towers there. PM doesn't have any kind of in-province roaming addon, do they? Rogers does have significantly better coverage along the route, so it would be nice to see if it could roam on Rogers with an addon.

coverage_gap.jpg

Quest

@rdb91

I admit that my answer wasn't directly related to your question. Smiley Sad But I wanted other folks to know what would be the possible reason technically speaking. And you would be surprised how many people even on this forum have Mobile Plans with different Network Providers. For example corporate with Rogers and private with PM and some member of the family with Koodo. Smiley Happy

rdb91

@Quest wrote:

@rdb91

In this area Telus don't have any towers. It fully relies on Bell towers.There is stronger presence of Rogers in the area. In fact they fill few gaps where there are no Bell towers at all.

Ask someone who is on Roges if they have the same problem.

I'm sorry, but this isn't a question about Rogers coverage (hopefully no one here is on Rogers).  I do not plan on getting a Rogers phone just for this drive, nor do I have anyone that still uses them (go figure). 

I was just trying to validate real life versus posted coverage on their site.  

rdb91

@will13am wrote:

I have been through that route a number of times and I can vouch for the coverage holes you have mentioned.  The section of highway through the provincial park west of Sault Ste Marie has nothing, no coverage, no roadside service, absolutely nothing.  Anyway expect to have breaks in coverage here and there between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay, particularly when the segment of road is surrounded by rock like a tunnel.  It doesn't matter which carrier you are with.  I even have experience with Tbaytel and still pretty much same coverage holes.  

Thanks for sharing your real life experience.

Do you know how long are the no-coverage areas, if traffic is moving at the posted speed?  Is it a few minutes versus hours at a time?

In areas where they have listed coverage, I still expect to lose signal.  But I don't expect these to be more than a couple of minutes each time. 

Quest

@rdb91

In this area Telus don't have any towers. It fully relies on Bell towers.There is stronger presence of Rogers in the area. In fact they fill few gaps where there are no Bell towers at all.

Ask someone who is on Roges if they have the same problem.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have been through that route a number of times and I can vouch for the coverage holes you have mentioned.  The section of highway through the provincial park west of Sault Ste Marie has nothing, no coverage, no roadside service, absolutely nothing.  Anyway expect to have breaks in coverage here and there between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay, particularly when the segment of road is surrounded by rock like a tunnel.  It doesn't matter which carrier you are with.  I even have experience with Tbaytel and still pretty much same coverage holes.  

Need Help? Let's chat.