cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Reception

Pallav
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just ported my number from Wind to PM.

However I dont see much difference from Wind network coverage to PM network coverage.

Both are bad at some areas...!!

I thought PM would be better then Wind.

Any suggestion that could improve my network reception?

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You have to change the phones setting thing apparently if it's a samsung phone from wind like this guy did, but you will have to factory reset when you set it from wind to telus, otherwise it will restrict your frequency bands to the one wind uses I think.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-Not-working-Galaxy-S6-edge-from-Wind/m...

Pallav

Its Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900A.

I also checked APN setting for internet, they are okay.

Still I am not getting enough speed of internet.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pallav what is your specific model number?  E.g. N900W8, N9005, N9002, N9006, something like that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pallav

I am getting only 1 or 2 bars of network and getting only 2 or 3 Mbps internet speed, while others are getting around 40 Mbps.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pallav to be clear (and my apologies if you've already stated this as I only skimmed this thread so far):  when you say the coverage isn't great, are you referring to dropped calls?  Inability to place/receive calls?  Inability to connect to sites or data-based apps?  Slower than you expected results in data speed tests?  Please let us know.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bar0460
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I manage 5 different cell phones, 4 of which at Wind.  I've only transferred 1 cell to Public because in my area of southeast Toronto, Wind's signal is far superior to Telus.  However, the line I transferred really isn't used at home and wanted the higher speeds for music streaming during his daily public transit commute along the 401 and at his office.  The three at Wind will for sure stay there because of the steadier signal which on average is 3 bars during the day and 4 at night.  The telus signal is flaky often dropping from 2 bars to 0 bars in an instant.  I actually never knew what a dropped call was until I tried Koodo last year.  I surprises me that people assume their service will automatically be superior because it is on one of the big three's towers.

laabs73

Here are the results from my speed test.

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2355092542

Pallav

How can you get this much speed?

I am getting only 2-3 Mbps..!!

It shows LTE when I am connecting to internet.

laabs73

I am getting between 45-48 Mbs. 

Thats more than 2x what I was getting from Wind.

shaner82
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM is a far superior network to Wind.  Wind is extremely limited in the areas you can use it.  You can use PM all over Canada

Pallav

How much speed you are getting?

laabs73

Just a thought , I was with wind too, when I switched to PM I found the I had fewer bars too, but I was on LTE, when I did a speed test , despite fewer bars, the speed was phenomenal !

Also you have the option of changing to their 3g network which would give same speeds as wind , and also better coverage (more bars)

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

To rule out an issue with the phone, could you ask your friends with Rogers and Bell if you can put their SIM in your phone to test the connection on your phone? 

Pallav

Yes I rebooted my phone many times..!!

Chicklets

Have you rebooted your phone. It usually takes about 2 hours for the signal to get full lte after you reboot. Patience!!

nekkidtruth

Pallav

So I dont need to do anything to get better network correct?

Can anyone suggest me how to get APN setting automatically?

Or whatever I have are the correct setting?

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Very odd, as i was on the rogers network, and since my change over have noticed only a very small difference with service.  Must be something else going on here to account for your issues.

The telus network which PM is on is far superior to that on Wind.

Pallav

I am using Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Pallav

Hi,

Yes I am on LTE network with PM.

When I connect to mobile internet, it shows LTE.

My friends have bell and rogers and they are getting network reception where I am not getting..!!

I am not sure how to check APN setting, can you please advise?

nekkidtruth

There is a significant distinction between WIND and PM in terms of signal. There are however a few questions that need to be cleared up to better understand the situation.

1.) Are you connected to LTE with PM? WIND would be HSPA+. So while you may have lower or similar signal on PM, if it's connected to the LTE network rather than HSPA+, your signal isn't actually worse per se. It's probably better.

2.) Are these areas where your connection is non-existent or very low the same for all providers? Do friends and family on other carriers experience this? This could be a dead zone where no wireless provider is able to penetrate or perhaps no tower is near that area.

3.) What phone do you own and are your APN settings correct?

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pallav what phone are you using?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I found this link here and it is a great tool.  You can look at what cell towers are in your area for which provider

www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.