cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Error

taa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I recently put my public mobile sim card in my phone after 6 months of not using it. I have paid all my bills however, my phone is saying emergency calls only and is unable to register to network. Does anyone know why this is?

11 REPLIES 11

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@taa wrote:

Thank you for doing this. Any other trouble shooting tips? I think I have to reprovision it.

Is your account status Active in My Account?

You did say you tried the SIM card into another phone right @taa; I am unclear if you tried this yet ? And the same message appears?

Sometimes the act of moving the SIM card into another phone, restarting the other phone (see if any messages appear), then removing the SIM card and insert it back into your own phone (restart the phone) can retrigger your account.

If the SIM works in another unlocked, compatible phone, check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@taa 

All right then there are two more reprovisioning tricks we can try but you may not want to use them so the choice is yours.

The first one is a little harder to do with the new self-serve accounts. Adding a manual Top-Up payment of $1 to your account can reprovision a SIM card but that is difficult to do because often the only choice you will be given is to pay the full amount of your plan amount.

Of course you will be able to use that for your next renewal but you may not want to add that much to your account especially if you have a higher plan amount then $15 or $25. You can add less if you happen to have a balance on your account. Login to your account. Make the manual payment. Download your receipt while you're at it. Log out. Reboot your phone. Can you connect to the network?

The other option is to suspend your account via lost/stolen. There's also carries an issue as if you are on the old $$ Rewards system suspending your account via lost/stolen causes a glitch whereas your rewards will not apply automatically upon renewal. As such if you use this technique you will have to contact customer support after your next renewal once you have paid to have your rewards applied manually to your account balance.

If you wish to use this troubleshooting method then log into your self-serve account. Go to your profile page. Suspend your account via lost/stolen. Log out/in. Resume your account services via lost/stolen. Log out. Reboot your phone. Can you connect to the network?

If this last tip fails then your only option is to contact customer support and ask that they reset your account and reprovision your sim card.

taa

Thank you for doing this. Any other trouble shooting tips? I think I have to reprovision it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

While this sim was not in use, did you use a different sim in the phone you're trying?

What make and model is the phone.

Then there are others here that would always just direct you to the support people when very often we can inform the customer in all the same things support would do anyway.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@taa 

No I am just a fellow customer. If we go through the basic troubleshooting tips to see if we can reprovision your sim card that eliminates you having to go back and forth through private messaging with a customer service agent which will take much longer. If we can't do it then all the customer service agent has to do is reprovision the SIM card on the back end.

taa

Do you work for public mobile?

taa

None of these work

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@taa 

If possible put your Public Mobile SIM card into a another unlocked phone and see if it connects to the network. If it does not try resetting your network settings in your phone then reboot it all the while with the Public Mobile SIM card in it. If that does not work we can try a couple other troubleshooting tips.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@taa 

Your sim card probably needs to be reprovisioned to your account after not being in use. There's a small chance that it has now failed but I doubt it. We can give you a few troubleshooting tricks to see if you can provision the card yourself or you can just contact customer support for them to do it on the back end. If for some reason that does not work then you will have to replace your sim card.

taa

Yes, I am able to log into my account.

Are you able to still log into your account? I am wondering if payment may have failed at some point, possibly due to a Public Mobile error.

Need Help? Let's chat.