cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need more details for new plan

robhaley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. I have an iPhone that is apparently compatible with Public Mobile and I want to get it set up. I live in area without cell coverage though so only want an inexpensive pre-paid plan (e.g. $10/30 day plan) that I'll use when visting in cell-covered areas.  I don't need data. Do the minutes on the $10 plan expire every month or can you set an automatic top-up if the amount is getting low?

Also; my iPhone has a new, unused Telus SIM card. I assume it can't be used for Public Mobile even though I believe Telus may own Public Mobile but please let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

@Effort wrote:

Probably not the best place to suggest something like this but if I had to choose between the PM $10 50/50 plan or the Fido $15 3GB LTE plan, I'd probably go for the 3GB LTE. It's $5 more per month but you can get unlimited talk and text through Fongo or Talkatone or a bunch of other VOIP apps. You need to suffer through their god awful apps but hey, it's a free number.

Sorry, partially disagreeing with this... As always, it depends on the OP's exact needs and the coverage where they are intending to use the phone.

If you don't have any cell coverage, you are wasting most of those 3GB on the yellow data-only plan if you are only occasionally venturing into coverage country and are only a light user.

Also, depending on where you are,  Rogers LTE coverage might be less than reliable (My yellow data-only connection often drops to EDGE or cuts out completely at home, and while not in a major city, I'm living in the town's core, while I have a full LTE connection in the exact same spot on  PM / Telus...)

Depending on the OP's exact needs I would recommend looking at SpeakOut before Fido's data-only plan (the later also seems to be harder and harder  to get as aa stand-alon these days...)

Just my two cents, of course.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Probably not the best place to suggest something like this but if I had to choose between the PM $10 50/50 plan or the Fido $15 3GB LTE plan, I'd probably go for the 3GB LTE. It's $5 more per month but you can get unlimited talk and text through Fongo or Talkatone or a bunch of other VOIP apps. You need to suffer through their god awful apps but hey, it's a free number.

Orz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

^^seconded!

The $10/30 day plan is perfect for low usage and for emergency purposes. I got one myself just last week as an in-car emergency phone. The 50 minutes that came with the plan expires every month and does not carry over.

If ever you need extra minutes just buy the 400 minutes add-on for $20 which never expires.

You are correct that Telus sim cannot be used to activate a PM line. You need a PM sim.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For the $10/month plan, the minutes do not carry over and therefore expire at the end of the 30 days, and restart again on your renewal date.  In the event that you need more than the 50 minutes included, you can purchase a long distance add on - this add-on would last indefinitely and would not expire.

The Telus SIM card you have will not work with Public Mobile.  You will have to get a Public Mobile SIM card to sign up.

Need Help? Let's chat.