cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name/address on the account and name/address on the Credit card (autopay). Should they match?

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I want to change the profile name on one of my accounts, but want to keep the  autopay Credit Card the same. Will my CC refuse to work, or the name mismatch does not matter? 

The reason I'm asking and having concerns about that is the following. In the past  I changed  profile name on one of my accounts (no Autopay), then tried to pay it with my credit card several times, but it  had always refused.

The same credit card works fine on my other accounts where CC name is the same  as the profile name.

Can someone  (preferably @Moderator_Team ) clarify  the  subj.  please, before I attempt the name change.

Thank you  very much in advance!

P.S. Same question about the address. 

16 REPLIES 16

MVP

So, is there any response from the mods?

It seems from the recent topics, the problem with autopay is more serious than just the issue raised here...

MVP

@Luddite wrote:

@MVP Sorry for any confusion but I did have an account with different names AND addresses for the account and the credit card (Visa). I meant accuracy on the credit card info.

Oh... OK, thank  you for clarifying. So, now only @Andy1000 and myself are claiming that  the mismatch of the address fields in the CC info on the PM site, and

in the ccount profile leads to CC payment problems?   

Curiouser and curiouser 🙂 .. Well, maybe  my past problems were caused by an uneven number of glitches, then. Still,I'd love very much to hear from  the mods on this topic.

@MVP Sorry for any confusion but I did have an account with different names AND addresses for the account and the credit card (Visa). I meant accuracy on the credit card info.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MVP

@computergeek541 wrote:

@MVP wrote:

However, it seems PM goes one exta step here requiring a match between the account profile address field and CC adress field on the ssme account (but not between the corresponding name fields). I'm not judging whether it is good or bad, just want to know what they require precisely, to avoid future headaches... 

They don't from what I've seen.  A close friend of mine used to have Public Mobile and I know for a fact that he borrowed a another friend's credit card to do autopay (he didn't have any credit cards at the time).   The two addresses were completely different.

Well, now you contradict what @Andy1000 and @Luddite said above, and also what  I experienced (CC payment  decilned after name/adress on the account profile changed).

It is not secret that there are many glitches in the PM system. Maybe in the case of your friend an even number of glitches cancelled themselves? Hehe...

Well, hopefully mods will chime in @CS_Agent ?

@MVP wrote:

However, it seems PM goes one exta step here requiring a match between the account profile address field and CC adress field on the ssme account (but not between the corresponding name fields). I'm not judging whether it is good or bad, just want to know what they require precisely, to avoid future headaches... 

They don't from what I've seen.  A close friend of mine used to have Public Mobile and I know for a fact that he borrowed a another friend's credit card to do autopay (he didn't have any credit cards at the time).   The two addresses were completely different.

MVP

@will13am wrote:

I will chime in to clarify that the maximum 2 accounts on the same card thing is a glitch that can be overcome with persistence.  Initially I had to use a different card during activation.  A few weeks later, I was able to change credit cards and use the same card a third time.  The 2 card barrier can be broken if you have the tenacity. 

Curuous what you mean by persistence and tenacity? Repeat the same thing many times, until it works,

or "there are some rules to this madness"? 🙂

MVP

@computergeek541 wrote:

I know that web site designers don't always do things that make sense, but when you add or modify the credit card saved in your self-serve account, you're actually required to entre the name and address that matches the information that the card issuer has on file.  It wouldn't make sense for the Public account and name and address needing to match that of the credit card's; otherwise, why would the manage credit card form even ask for that information?

The name entered for credit card needs to match the name the credit card company has.  The address that is entered for payment needs to match the one the card issuer has.  The name and address assosiciated with the Public Mobile account profile makes no difference.

What you describe about  matching between the CC issuer info and CC name/address fields at a merchant makes sense of course, and both parties can be more or less fuzzy about that. E.g. I've seen my CC declined due to such minuscule detail as  extra space in the postal code, like HOH OHO versus HOHOHO.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I will chime in to clarify that the maximum 2 accounts on the same card thing is a glitch that can be overcome with persistence.  Initially I had to use a different card during activation.  A few weeks later, I was able to change credit cards and use the same card a third time.  The 2 card barrier can be broken if you have the tenacity. 

I know that web site designers don't always do things that make sense, but when you add or modify the credit card saved in your self-serve account, you're actually required to entre the name and address that matches the information that the card issuer has on file.  It wouldn't make sense for the Public account and name and address needing to match that of the credit card's; otherwise, why would the manage credit card form even ask for that information?

The name entered for credit card needs to match the name the credit card company has.  The address that is entered for payment needs to match the one the card issuer has.  The name and address assosiciated with the Public Mobile account profile makes no difference.

MVP

P.S. Also, it seems the CC addrress should match the one on the account even for one-time CC payments (not autopay)?

MVP

Thank you, Folks.

So, to summarize:

- Address on the CC has to match account profile address.

- Name on the CC need NOT  match account profile name (neither first name nor last name).

It would be great if a mod can confirm these statements.

Just wanna avert possible headaches with the coming autopay  🙂 ...

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MVP I can confirm that Profile name and credit card name are not required to match. It is critical, however, that the credit card address and name match your account precisely.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Andy1000
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As far as I know with Telus network including PM the address on the account must match the address on the credit card. Name is not an issue. 

@MVP,

Best to message a MOD for assistance, click on this link Moderator Team
to send a private message .
In your message please include:
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MVP

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@MVP, when you say other accounts how many do you mean.  A credit card can only be used on 2 accounts.  I have read some people have done a work around but not sure how or if it works.  The name on the account vs the name on the credit card shouldn't matter.  My wife and I pay with the same credit card yet we have 2 accounts

I have two accounts on autopay (same name same address, same matching CC).

I also have a third account that was initially opened in my name too,  and I was able to pay it with my CC, but then I changed name AND address on it, and now my CC does not work.

So,  I'm wondering if it is safe to change name (but not address) on one of the accounts. 

BTW, in the  account profile options it issues a  warning that if you change the address, you should update CC address as well, so perhaps addresses should match? What about names?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MVP, when you say other accounts how many do you mean.  A credit card can only be used on 2 accounts.  I have read some people have done a work around but not sure how or if it works.  The name on the account vs the name on the credit card shouldn't matter.  My wife and I pay with the same credit card yet we have 2 accounts

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.