cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW IPHONE SE

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hey everyone,

Not sure if you are in the market for a new phone, but I just got an email that Iphone is coming out with a new SE model, if you purchase it through apple you also get a free year of Apple TV. Just spreading the love.

Iphone SE  

**Note** This is not an affiliate code, I will not receive any bonus for sharing this info.** 

51 REPLIES 51

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Naepalm wrote:

@DOA or my huawei that stopped after a month LMAO

Huawei smartphone or laptop?

DOA

@Naepalm wrote:

LOL.

I bought a Macbook Pro back in mid 2014, and it's still getting upgraded to the latest OS X.  And it still runs like new.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs yeah I agree with your take on apple forsure. 

DOA

Companies hedge foreign exchange to reduce risks and to provide stability.  They don't sell products based on the day-to-day rate that can fluctuate wildly.  (Some are predicting the C$ could soon fall to $.60 US due to the collapse of oil prices).

Apple wants as many Canadians as possible to buy the SE.  The $20 or $30 price difference pales compared to the money Apple owners spend on accessories and services.  The average Apple owner spends $80 US per year on services alone.

That $20 or $30 also looks pretty insignificant when you consider Apple will provide at least 6 years of OS updates, compared to the 1 or 2 years you're lucky to get with much more expensive Android devices. 

How happy do you think you'll be with your $1500 Samsung a few years after the updates stop?

jimbobs

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Apple price gouging. $399 US$ IS NOT $599 CDN$ = $39 gouge. 

Converting a US price to any foreign currency and expecting to see the product priced at that locally is a bit simplistic.  Manufacturers of consumer electronics always price based on the local market conditions.  If you want to buy an Apple SE at the "best" price, buy it in Hong Kong or maybe India.

Or maybe even in the US using an optimal exchange rate.

Nope!

My point was find the jurisdiction where the local price plus the exchange rate minimize your CAD cost.  At the moment, the CAD is down against pretty much every major currency so doing that might be tough.

@jimbobs wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Converting a US price to any foreign currency and expecting to see the product priced at that locally is a bit simplistic.  Manufacturers of consumer electronics always price based on the local market conditions.  If you want to buy an Apple SE at the "best" price, buy it in Hong Kong or maybe India.

Nope!

India. 64gb

The iPhone SE has been launched in India at the starting price of Rs 42, 500 for the 64GB variant.

42,500 Indian Rupee equals 783.88 Canadian Dollar

Hong Kong 64gb

Pre-order iPhone SE (Limit 2) From HK$3,399

3,399 Hong Kong Dollar equals 622.18 Canadian Dollar

jimbobs

@LurganIeUk wrote:

753346B5-0114-40B0-AA2C-93646979829A.jpeg

@DOA  Wrote:

The Can$ has recently been trading in the range .68 to .71. But that's the rate banks trade amongst themselves at. Individuals and companies don't get the same deal.
399 / .68 = $588. Not exactly price gouging.

----------

Yes but you've cherry picked the absolute worst exchange rate (and very briefly) in recent history to get the US price up to ALMOST as high as the Canadian price. Two months ago when pricing was likely being determined a $US cost $1.31 to $1.33 so $529 or $539 wouldn't have been out if line.

AE_Collector

up2dwntwn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

jimbobs

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

@Staliger maybe not like valuable to us. But to the people that LOVE  apple they will pay more for those products LOL

As do people that love Samsung and Blackberry. 

Loving Samung is not, in my opinion, like loving Apple.  People who buy Apple tend to buy other Apple products and buy into the whole Apple ecosystem.  I don't believe you can say that about any other device. 

What happens to that number if you add 2% forex fee to your exchange?

Also a quick look at the China price equates to more than 500 CDN. Must be the transportation charges😊😊

DOA

@AE_Collector wrote:

$599 Canadian? Wasn't the US price $399?

AE_Collector 

The Can$ has recently been trading in the range .68 to .71.  But that's the rate banks trade amongst themselves at.  Individuals and companies don't get the same deal.

399 / .68 = $588.   Not exactly price gouging.

@Naepalm wrote:

@LurganIeUk lol ill wait a bit. 

If you are close to border and close to a USA Apple store then when things ease, and you and partner made the purchase of ONE ONLY on a day trip you could probably get away with duty but may have to pay GST on USA$ plus exchange. Then the cost of medical insurance, gas, lunch, and dinner.....sometimes it just doesn’t make sense. But it is a day out! Or better yet if you can be on a bit of a holiday and make the purchase duty free. 

@LurganIeUk lol ill wait a bit. 

@AE_Collector wrote:

I'm sure you could buy it out of the US and get the US rate. So you might have shipping or tax/duty to deal with then. Sometimes some companies might then like to screw you around about warranties as well.

AE_Collector

@Naepalm 

If you shipped it into Canada you would have to get a friend or relative to buy for you from the Apple store (unlocked). Keep in mind USA does not have the same unlock policy as Canada. Then you would pay exchange, taxes twice, courier, brokerage fees and duty. Or just hop across the line if you can and then be forced into 14 days in quarantine upon return.  

@AE_Collector wrote:

$599 Canadian? Wasn't tgecUS price $399?

i have noticed before that while many manufacturers don't hose Canadians by quite the full exchange rate,

@AE_Collector AE_Collector

While not in sales I worked for a major retailer and had access to all systems. And it is the retailer that gouges you. But some manufacturers control the retail price and sales price as well. 

I'm sure you could buy it out of the US and get the US rate. So you might have shipping or tax/duty to deal with then. Sometimes some companies might then like to screw you around about warranties as well.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  cam you buy it then for the US dollar rate? Or do you have to pay the Canadian price? 

$599 Canadian? Wasn't the US price $399?

I have noticed before that while many manufacturers don't hose Canadians by quite the full exchange rate especially when our dollar is exceptionally low, Apple likes to take a bad exchange rate and then make it even worse! The one time I considered upgrading to a NEW iPhone their exchange rate was $1.45 at a time when the true exchange raceways $1.38. That was enough for me to say uh,.. No thanks but thanks for the generous exchange rate offer.

AE_Collector 

@DOA wrote:

The new SE has an excellent camera, outstanding build quality and the A13 chip  makes it faster than any of the Android flagships . . . all starting at $600 in Canada.  That's not overpriced. That's the deal of the century.

Plus, you're buying from a company that tends to honour warranties, unlike the Asian manufacturers.

Good point. While I am not a camera fanatic I once tried to be an amateur photographer and purchased an SLR  Minolta 35mm camera and an extra zoom lense and filters which would have been well over $900 (more than double my mortgage payment)but was on sale and I also received another 25% off for employee discount. In those days it was not so apparent that the source could control the retail price or sale price as does Apple, Nike, and the like does now. I sold it for $100. 

So do keep in mind the price of any smartphone includes a camera and when a manufacturer figures out how to have a real zoom and filters. Wow. But don’t get me wrong as technology improves and production is automated and offshore with cheap labour we are getting a lot more in a smartphone......but my feelings remain the same.....we are being gouged when we buy these items along with intentional built in obsolescence. And think about this too...cost to ship a container from China divided by how many phones are in that container probably equals $3. 

Who wears a watch any more? Who has a camera any more? Most don’t. What replaced those items?

@LurganIeUk I completely agree. My concept of the quration was buy it for 599 at best buy with no benefit or buy it from apple and atleast you get a service for free. But 100% shop around and see where you can het the best deal. 

cheers

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@DOA it is a good deal considering the iPhone XR was much more expensive and this is that phone with a different look. 😄

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

i'm think to get the iphone se, would anyone recommend getting it right from apple, or best buy etc............

Money talks.  

I bought our last iPad at the now defunct in Canada, Target store. They offered the going price and a $100 gift card. I needed to buy some iTunes cards as that is how I pay for Netflix, which they had. The young lady overheard me talking to my wife to buy iPad and $100 worth of iTunes cards with the gift card but readily offered me the $100 off towards the iPad purchase. The best way to go in my mind. The product I wanted for best lowest price. 

So do, you really want a  $100 gift that is only useable at a specific retailer?

Do you want Apple TV and you don’t even use your Netflix subscription to its potential?

Will Apple TV work on your Generation 2 or 3 Apple TV?

A long time ago it was worthwhile to buy outright at Apple because it would be unlocked. But today that is not the case as they must be all sold in the unlocked condition.  And I don’t see any warranty issues if you buy one at Best Buy and then take to the Apple Store for warranty work. 

And then while I really don’t know how a contract works with a free phone but  I understand that is a misnomer (FREE) and the price of the contract also includes the price of the phone. The question is..does Telus, Bell, Rogers etc get their phones for wholesale. I think heavily towards that answer as being yes. So they also profit from sale of phone within the contract. 

So we PMers either need access to friends, families or corporate hand me downs or the BEST DEAL possible. And to me I would be looking for a new iPhone SE for at least a $100 off. From where....a reliable retailer. 

DOA

The new SE has an excellent camera, outstanding build quality and the A13 chip  makes it faster than any of the Android flagships . . . all starting at $600 in Canada.  That's not overpriced. That's the deal of the century.

Plus, you're buying from a company that tends to honour warranties, unlike the Asian manufacturers.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Even the new Oneplus phones now are way more expensive ($1100/1400 CAD) 

@Naepalm wrote:

@Staliger maybe not like valuable to us. But to the people that LOVE  apple they will pay more for those products LOL

As do people that love Samsung and Blackberry. The question is....who started gouging first? The point being is that they ALL followed. 

@fdrcamb519 you buy it from apple youll get apple tv free for a year. 

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i'm think to get the iphone se, would anyone recommend getting it right from apple, or best buy etc............

Need Help? Let's chat.