Unlimited Talk: Canada wide
Unlimited Text: Global
Data: 6 gb/90 days
Pre-Tax Total:$135.00
Tax:$15.20
Total Amount Owing:$151.20 = $50/mo

Total for 2 people: $95/month - $60/yr (rewards) = $1080/yr 

-----------------------------------------------

Switching was fairly easy. I did call Telus to see if they would match. Cust service in India. This call lasted 76 minutes. I was passed around to speak to "an upper management" 6 times, which really is the person in the next cube spewing the same crap. The 5th person I was on the line with, I will call the enforcer, who decided yelling at me was the best route. It was quite funny actually as he was raging, saying I should pay for customer service and I should pay for infrastructure (towers etc). I asked him why Telus is wholesaling its services then, he immediately put me on hold for 7 mins while transferring me to the Final Boss. The final one gave up and tried to sell me a Koodoo account with was $57/month each. I declined. 

Ordered 2 sim cards May 1st.
Arrived May 3rd.

Activated Sim cards May 3. Went fairly smooth. Paid for plans. There are also a couple rewards bonus which adds up to $60 saving per year with slight increases as years go by.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/rewards

90-day plan: When you register and pay for your service using AutoPay, you will earn a reoccurring Reward of $6 every 90 days.

Amount earned per referral: $3/90 days (2nd phone was my referral)

-----------------------------------------------

So we are saving: $1110/year and gaining 12 extra gb, unlimited calling.

Telus Yearly: $2190
PubM Yearly: $1080

Thank you Public Mobile.

Heart

20 REPLIES 20

Danley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched to Public yesterday from Telus after 9 years with them. I transferred my wife today. We are very happy already, and wish we switched several years ago. Thanks for sharing this! It’s amazing how much you can save for the same service. Now I’m paying again about what I was 9 years ago when I first came to Canada!

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great post! the cost break-down speaks for itself. I don't know why people refuse to see this. Not to mention, they use Telus' towers, so, really, what you're benefitting from switching is more money in your pocket for the same cell service.

I'll never understand people paying over 70$ for a monthly cell phone plan!

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, to all of You,

As long as Telus don't mind such a great success of its Sub-Brand it is nice to hear that so many people switching to Public Mobile to save some money and have better customer experience.

After all it stays in the same family so shareholders could be satisfied and there is enough money for innovation in order to compete with Rogers and Bell. We have to take into consideration the fact that after recent innovations and changes to PM it costs Telus almost nothing to run PM.

Majority of Pioneers recently either, switched to Koodo or went on the latest PM plans. They are truly now on the path to become fully on line sub-brand of Telus. That will bring even more savings that could be translated in the future into more unbeatable occasional promotions, sky is only the limit.

Without opening new thread, I wonder how many people in recent years switched from other major brands to PM? There will be even more reasons to rejoice and hear about it. Please share your experiences with us on this forum. Let's make PMs name and brand well known, again. 

Believe it or not some people still think that PM don't exist anymore or that it is some small brand with inferior network. Let's spread good news everywhere from Coast to Coast.

Rogers, Fido, chatr, Bell and Virgin should once again fear Public Mobile's name.

May Force be with all of You.

RoninMaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Don't get me wrong I switched from Telus to Public Mobile and was the best choice, but isn't Public Mobile owned by Telus? Why the difference in charge?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nicholas255 indeed.  I also made the switch from Telus, about a year and a half ago, and have no regrets.  It's nice getting more for less....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Nicholas255
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@srlawren almost everything is owned by some major parent company, that doesn't mean we can't support a superior subsidiary service, it's like voting for what you desire out of a carrier

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nicholas255 don't forget that Public Mobile IS Telus.  Owned and operated by Telus, and running on their network.  So, although you are paying them less, you're still paying Telus.  Just sayin'.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Love hearing these stories.  I am with you on dealing with issues by email rather than spending too much time on the phone with someone who can't really understand or solve the problem.  Awesome that you are saving so much - that is alot of money that can be spent on other things. Welcome to PM.

Nicholas255
Telus is horrible, I feel so dumb for the inflated charges I was paying. Horrible self serve system Telus has too.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'm surprised customer service was in India.... I have Telus Internet + Optik and I've never gotten any CSR other than in Canada. I guess mobile is different.

Nevertheless, I'm shocked at the amount you pay for your cell phone bill.

And don't forget that if you go on autopay you get additional discounts per line. If you signed up and did a referral on the other line, you also get a discount. If you forgot, I'm sure some of the PM reps can rectify that.

On, and if you keep referring new customers you get RECURRING discounts for each referral. I haven't got that many referrals so I'm not sure if there's a limit.

SF2278

It really never does cease to amaze me how the BIG 3 seem to think that they can get away with what they do.  I recall shopping my plan before I went to Wind and being told by Robbers that they couldn't offer me the same rates because they are a "Premium Service Provider", to which I asked, what part of their service was premium aside from the prices lol!

Again though, Wind had great pricing but their network is just nowhere near as good or reliable as PM.  For me one of the other breaking points was being told that my Note 4 would not be compatible with their band 66 LTE service so I wouldn't even be able to leverage their supposedly better network without a heavy investment in a new phone.  No thank you!

Vanterax

We were paying $180/mth with Telus for 2 phones with a SHARED 6GB plan.

With PM's fall promotion, we're paying a total of $74/mth for approx 4GB EACH per month.

When I called Telus to cancel, $110/mth for still SHARED 6GB plan was all they could offer.

There is absolutely no comparison.

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Glad you've seen the light! Took me a few years as well to ditch my first girlfriend named Bell, but it was the best day of my life cutting ties with that @#$&+.
Congrats on your new plans and those wonderful savings!

lexcyn

This is hilarious. I know someone who was also with Telus and told them they were going to switch to PM who then told them it was "more expensive" than any plan Telus would offer them.

What a joke! Glad you are with PM and enjoying it like we all are! Heart

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

"Final Boss" that made me laugh like a crazy.

Welcome to PM and I truely do hope you enjoy it like we do.

I always knew that prices in canada are on a different level from the world but everytime I just get convinced of this fact because of the stories people share about their old plans. Just WOW 

RogerI

One of the reasons I switched to PM was BECAUSE they have no call centre. I hate having to deal with Bell and Rogers. Far better at "talking" to computers; far less emotional to deal via email and this forum. But that's just me. I know, sometimes, it takes a few days to resolve an issue, but that's fine too. My last problem with adding US/International calling (which was my fault!) was solved in 30 minutes via the forum.

SF2278

Thats awesome!  Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you stick it to the folks who have been gouging you and they they try to justify the gouging by telling you that you are somehow paying this extra money for the pleasure of their customer disservice lol!

Love your story...its making me smile inside and out!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Great story.  There are customers who would be willing to forgo the $1000 savings to yak with a useless agent.  Then there are those who love the option to mortgage their $1200 flagship carrier phone.  Fortunately, Public Mobile doesn't offer any of these.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

That's a great love story! 🙂
Share the love! (and you'll even get extra $1 discount per month for friends who join!)

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Thanks for the detailed experience glad to hear everything went nice and smoothly and welcome to public mobile system is simple if follow properly as you followed and complete the whole process without any issues.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.