cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data is not accurate

Viper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For months now my data runs out very quickly. For example, I purchased an additional 3 gig on the 16th of August because the system informed me that I’ve reached 100% of my date. My cycle started on the 19th of August.  

On August 24th, I received a message tell that I used up 75% of my 8Gig plan ????? What???

so I checked and double checked to ensure that my apps and anything that can potentially cause charges. I closed all apps and browsers. 

I was also connected to my home wifi.

I then received a message at 5 am or so informing me that I used 95% of my data followed by another one indicating that I hit 100% of my data.  

all of this while I was connected to wifi and the phone was not being used. 

I do not understand as to why? I now am 5 days into my plan and having to buy more data... this is nuts. 

I contacted the CRTC and will be filing a complaint. 

I attempted to contact customer service and open a ticket but no luck. 

I feel that this service is fraud. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Viper 

Your saying 100% does point towards your phone counter telling you this. This system only notifies you at 75% and 95%. At 100% it just stops. Consider that your notification 🙂

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Viper wrote:

For months now my data runs out very quickly. For example, I purchased an additional 3 gig on the 16th of August because the system informed me that I’ve reached 100% of my date. My cycle started on the 19th of August.  

On August 24th, I received a message tell that I used up 75% of my 8Gig plan ????? What???

so I checked and double checked to ensure that my apps and anything that can potentially cause charges. I closed all apps and browsers. 

I was also connected to my home wifi.

I then received a message at 5 am or so informing me that I used 95% of my data followed by another one indicating that I hit 100% of my data.  

all of this while I was connected to wifi and the phone was not being used. 

I do not understand as to why? I now am 5 days into my plan and having to buy more data... this is nuts. 

I contacted the CRTC and will be filing a complaint. 

I attempted to contact customer service and open a ticket but no luck. 

I feel that this service is fraud. 

oh my goodness @Viper take it easy.  But I can empathize with your situation to a certain degree.  I got so angry and stressed with my former provider charging me data when I didn't have data in my plan.  I have wifi and as I am retired and scared of Covid19, I don't leave my home that often.  It turned out that my wifi was off all those times.  I connected my mobile phone to my own wifi but for some reason, it got turned off on my phone.  It wasn't me. lol

So, it could be that your phone is not connected to your own wifi.  Just follow all the suggestions given above and I wish you all the best.  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Viper you need to turn your data on only when you need it. if you know you're not going to use it, then disable it. wether or not you're on wifi, the connection has the potential to disconnect (phone goes on standby, screen turns off etc.). the device then connects to your mobile data.

@Viper The CRTC will not help with this situation. They do not handle disputes between individual customers and carriers. For that, you might wish to consider contacting CCTS.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Viper  Change the start date on your device's data usage settings to be the same as your plan's start date. You will be able to determine which apps used up the data fairly quickly.

Also both Androids and iPhones have Wifi+ and wifi assist. Which automatically connects back to data when a wifi signal is weak. You would want to turn that off as well....

Screenshot_20200825_112147.jpg

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you disable auto updates for apps and also turn off GPS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Viper check to see if your wifi hasn't been inadvertantly  turned off on your phone. Also what's the make and model of your phone?  Thanks. 

Need Help? Let's chat.