cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My California Coverage - clarification meeded

Farzanehr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan includes this:

"Whether in Canada or the US, this plan includes unlimited calling, text, picture and video and messaging to phone numbers within and between Canada and the US. Data can be used in both Canada and the US.

Calls to 411, 511, Reedly, California (559-726-XXXX), Carroll, Iowa (712-775-XXXX), Lake Park, Iowa (712-432-XXXX), Charles City, lowa (641-552-XXXX), Pine Ridge, South Dakota (605-562-XXXX), Redfield,South Dakota (605-475-XXXX), and Fort Thompsons, South Dakota (605-477-XXXX) are not included."

So for California i can call on voice, text, send pictures, videos and message to all US numbers except for those numbers starting with these digits: (559-726-XXXX)?

Thanks,
F

9 REPLIES 9

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes my phone is on the list at the link you provided. I just don't get the VoLTE option with PM/SIM that I had with the temporary carrier/SIM. Thanks again for sharing your insights.

self solution removed

@Chipster   I think PM has enabled all accounts for VoLTE but not necessarily all phones are allowed - is yours on the whitelist?   In many (most?) cases there is no VoLTE toggle with PM.  My iPhone has VoLTE with PM but there is no toggle in the settings for it.  I know it has it because it stays on LTE when I do the test I described otherwise there's no indication in the settings at all. 

Chipster

Thanks @Phil_Adelphus much appreciated. I was recently travelling and bought a temporary SIM and sure enough the VoLTE option was available on my phone with the temporary SIM. But I don't even see that option with the PM SIM. So I was thinking that perhaps PM needs to push an update to the SIM to enable VoLTE on my phone???

@Chipster   My understanding is that as long as the sim is LTE capable it is also VoLTE if allowed on tge phone by the manufacturer and carrier.  Hopefully someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.  PM has a list of VoLTE phones, although it isn't exclusive, here

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

You can test your phone by turning off wifi, turning on cellular data, and make a phone call.  If the phone stays on LTE you're good, if it drops to 3G you don't have VoLTE.

Chipster

@Phil_Adelphus You need to have BOTH a VoLTE enabled phone AND SIM right?
Maybe you know @Phil_Adelphus.? I have been a long time user of PM. I have an old SIM and my phone is not eSIM capable. My phone though is VoLTE capable. Can PM push some new firmware to my old SIM to turn on VoLTE?

Farzanehr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks a lot,

F

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Farzanehr   Also, for voice calls to work in the USA you need a VoLTE enabled phone since the USA now has no 3G network to fall back on and in a few weeks there will be no 2G either.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That is correct , @Farzanehr 

And bear in mind, it's for the area code + extension indicated only, not the whole area code. 

Need Help? Let's chat.