cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working

streetcore
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I activated a new PM account with a $15 plan recently and also activated auto-pay a couple days ago. Unfortunately, mobile data is not working on my Asus Zenfone Live L1. I've been doing some research here and tried to create a new APN, but I'm getting the error "Operator does not allow addings APNs of type*." Been looking around the web for answers and now I'm pretty confused about how to resolve this. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

@streetcore 

Actually the 3G data will probably be much faster most of the time....it just won't be consistent. But that sounds like it won't be a problem for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@streetcore 

The ol' take out the SIM and put it back in method strikes again. 🙂

Glad you got it going.

streetcore

I'm not sure what happened, but it seems to be working now. I had read about swapping sim cards, so I put my old Rogers card in, but I still couldn't save the new APN and was getting the same error. I put the PM card back in and now it's working and there is an APN called Public Mobile. Before it was only Telus and Koodoo.

I'm not a big data user and usually rely on wifi, so I'm not too concerned about speeds right now.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@streetcore wrote:

The $15 plan only has 3G speed, doesn't it?

Public Mobile can do data on 3G HSDPA or 4G LTE. The LTE is throttled down to 3Mbps aka 3G speed. But that HSDPA can actually trot along pretty well.

I think he was meaning that your phone looks a little light on LTE frequencies. You might have to stick to 3G settings to use data.

@JoyLuck wrote:

@streetcore 

Have a look at this thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Public-Mobile-Will-Not-Allow-APN-Sett...

I have been following this problem since and it seems like the simplest workaround is to use a old Freedom SIM card.  They don't seem to invoke this error.  Just add the required APN while the Freedom SIM is inserted in the phone and it will become available for use even after the SIM is swapped out.  

streetcore

The $15 plan only has 3G speed, doesn't it?

I found that APN site too and entered all that data, but I can't save it. That's when I get the "Operator does not allow addings APNs of type*. " error.

@JoyLuck 

Ouch! Looks like @streetcore May only be able to use 3G data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@streetcore wrote:

Hi,

I activated a new PM account with a $15 plan recently and also activated auto-pay a couple days ago. Unfortunately, mobile data is not working on my Asus Zenfone Live L1. I've been doing some research here and tried to create a new APN, but I'm getting the error "Operator does not allow addings APNs of type*." Been looking around the web for answers and now I'm pretty confused about how to resolve this. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Show us what ya got for APN now. Maybe you could post screenshots. What is the Android version?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@streetcore 

Are your settings greyed out or there isnt 3 dots to access? A screenshot of your phone might help.

Need Help? Let's chat.