cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing, late image texts

michael_s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So both my gf and I are with Public Mobile and we have been having issues with sending photos and even gifs. Sometimes they go through, sometimes they don't, and more of ten than not they just arrive a day or two later. Anyone know why this might be happening?

I have a Galaxy A8 and she has a Galaxy S7. Never had this issue before we joined Public. Any help would be appreciated!

16 REPLIES 16

michael_s

Yes we're both with Public Mobile.

I will try and see if the default Samsung app has the same problem.

@michael_s wrote:

Unfortunately we tried and after we input the settings on her phone we were no longer able to send photos at all, both ways.

My post had Public Mobile APN settings, assuming Public Mobile is your carrier. Use the APN settings provided by your carrier if it's not Public Mobile.

I think you should also try the default (built-in) SMS and MMS apps on your phones. And perhaps try some other SMS & MMS app(s). To prove/disprove whether Pulse is somehow the problem. 

michael_s

Unfortunately we tried and after we input the settings on her phone we were no longer able to send photos at all, both ways.

michael_s

Thank you all for the various tips.

@Luddite  Yes the phones both work fine normally, with or without wifi enabled. The problem only happens sporadically between my gf and I when sending photos through text and never had an issue otherwise.

@Korth  I have set the APN info to what you provided and restarted, will get my gf to do the same and then experiment with sending photos. Will post back with results!

I just did some reading on pulse and I think the issue may be related to the internet connection mentioned above.

One of the features of pulse is that you can operate it from all your devices. It's possible the ability to upload to "the cloud" may be slowing down delivery. 

Look thru this online help and see if it sounds the same to you.

https://messenger.klinkerapps.com/help/

Someone should comment if this is a red herring, but where I live PM's 3 G network is much better than LTE. So, try setting the phones' network to 3 G instead of LTE or auto.

@michael_s Please confirm you can use both phones with cellular data with wifi off.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

APN Settings.

For Android, click:
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile/Cellular Networks > Access Point Names >

It may not let you edit a setting, but you should be able to add one if they don't match the ones @Korth provided. The add APN usually is a plus sign.

You'll find "APN Settings" somewhere in your phone's Settings. There's plenty of online articles and videos for every major phone brand and every major phone operating system.

Phone services from the network (Data, MMS attachments, etc) won't work properly without proper APN settings.

You can probably have a vendor (like London Drugs) check/configure your Public Mobile APN settings for you at no charge while you buy a payment voucher. 

michael_s

@Korth  Thanks for the instructions but I have no idea how to change APN settings.

@geopublic  They are 2-4MB in size.

@michael_s wrote:

Pulse uses SMS it says, but maybe has MMS capability? Would it not have to in order to send photos?

Confirm these Public Mobile APN settings and restart the device. Might or might not fix your MMS isues.

APN sp.mb.com

MMSC http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy 74.49.0.18

MMS Proxy Port 80 (can also be written as 74.49.0.18:80)

MCC 302

MNC 320

APN Type default,mms (can be default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri ... but not really necessary)

APN Type should be all lowercase, no spaces, in the specified order.

A trick on older Android versions is to use "mms", restart, use "default,mms", restart again. Because sometimes the APN Type is properly displayed but not properly active, this trick sometimes (somehow) toggles the setting and makes the toggled setting persist. I don't know exactly why, likely buggy phone software or quirky/legacy network protocols.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/APN-Setting-for-MMS-only/td-p/199802

Public Mobile (Telus) network hardware will store undelivered MMS attachments. I don't know the maximum limits, how many or for how long. MMS attachments can be "lost" whenever they are transferred from site to site on the network or from network to handset - especially when there's weak signal, it seems there's inadequate error correction built in - sometimes these lost msgs magically reappear hours/days/weeks later, sometimes they're gone forever.

And if sender or recipient move between cellular/wifi zones a lot then data attachments can be lost because their unique (but temporary) network-assigned "addresses" can change before delivery can be successfully completed.

You can also try out other SMS/MMS apps. Pulse is somewhat popular but I prefer Signal SMS. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@michael_s  What is the size of these pic files?

@michael_s wrote:

Pulse uses SMS it says, but maybe has MMS capability? Would it not have to in order to send photos?

Some apps have a setting to use SMS/MMS or only use the internet.   An  app can send pictures over the interenet or as MMS that doesn't use up your data amount.  The method it sends can point you where to look for a problem. 

michael_s

@michael_s wrote:

We usually use Pulse, but I think it's happened with the regular Samsung texting app. Normally we open the pic and share throguh Pulse.

Does Pulse send as MMS or using the internet?  Knowing that can help for troubleshooting.

michael_s

We usually use Pulse, but I think it's happened with the regular Samsung texting app. Normally we open the pic and share throguh Pulse.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@michael_s wrote:

So both my gf and I are with Public Mobile and we have been having issues with sending photos and even gifs. Sometimes they go through, sometimes they don't, and more of ten than not they just arrive a day or two later. Anyone know why this might be happening?

I have a Galaxy A8 and she has a Galaxy S7. Never had this issue before we joined Public. Any help would be appreciated!

Are you doing it by MMS or through a instant message app? It could be a slow internet connection or an app issue. Try a different app. If you're using Facebook or Intagram, look for any difference on wifi or mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.