cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS messages from overseas not being received

John46
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A friend is trying to send photos using MMS from an iPhone.

They are generating an error message and are not appearing on my phone (HTC running Android 7.x.x)

How do I change my plan (I'm currently on the 3month $150 plan with no add-ons) or phone settings to get these messages? 

There is some urgency in getting a solution to my problem.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

John46

This may, in fact, be the answer.  My friend has an iPhone while I am on an Android device.

John46

We did use a workaround but it would have been so much easier to share photos in text exchange.

John46

My friend will be back tomorrow so we can compare phones and settings at that time.  Unfortunately, we've both got commitments so I don't know when we'll actually be able to get together to check.  But it's a good suggestion and I will follow up.

@John46 You might also ask your friend to confirm their iPhone settings. Should be

Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show their phone number as well a their iCloud account addresss.

Of course there is always email.

Finally, if you can receive MMS photos from anyone else it is likely an issue on your friend's phone/carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

John46

For the others in this thread:

Marie sent me a detailed reply describing steps to fix the problem. One of the steps was to visit this page and create a new Access Point Name (APN)

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1844_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_htc_u11.php

I tried that but still had no luck.  Others have suggested that I needed to send a picture first.  Tried that, no luck.

Switched back to the original APN and tried again.

We did use an internet workaround to exchange pictures but it was so clumsy that I don't really want to try that again.

When my friend gets back to Canada, we'll try again and see if the issue is "out of the Canada/US area" or if it's more general.  I'll check back to see if further suggestions appear.

Thanks, everyone.  We tried!

John

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The MMS standard is a bit of a wild wild west.  I don't think all carriers run compatible editions.  I can message a friend in the UK.  Traffic in the other direction does not work.  21st century messaging platforms like hangouts, WhatsApp work perfectly.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Could they not send you the pic via email or WhatsApp (I think everyone in Europe use WhatsApp) or even send you a link to Dropbox iCloud etc.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Are the pictures going out to multiple users from the sender?  I have had an issue with my parents sending out messages to me and my sister.  She and my parents are iSheep and I am not (any more)  They get everything going back and forth and I don't but they are getting the messgaes via imessage.  Not sure if that could be an issue here or why I miss messages from them as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just replied to your private message @John46! Please take a look at your inbox 🙂

Everything in OP's account seems normal so we're currently testing a few things out - but if anyone else has any tips or ideas, feel free to share with us! 

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*
Need Help? Let's chat.