cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance

girl_toronto
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have a question I was hoping  someone could answer my question. I was wondering what is considered long distance for my plan? I have unlimited province wide talking in my plan. I live in Toronto ontario. If I call someone in London ontario from Toronto is it free? What if I go to London ontario and call someone in toronto would it be free? 

Over the weekend I was in London and I tried to call my voicemail and it said that long distance chanrges may apply. I was wondering why it said that? Becacuse its supposed to be free isn't it? My plan has free provincial long distance.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JaK is correct in his answer. If you are more curious as to why you are getting this message and how everything works check out this post: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/If-I-text-or-call-a-local-number-while-the...

Whether or not a call is considered "long distance" has in fact nothing to do with your plan but rather is still based on the original phone system model. Your plan determines whether you will be charged for the "long distance" call. In order to access your voicemail your phone has a stored access number (usually this is actually your own phone number - when you call your own phone number from your phone it will access your voicemail). If you have a Toronto number and are in London, when you access your voicemail you are actually calling your own phone number (a Toronto number) while you are in London. This is considered a long distance call and hence you receive that message indicating that long distance charges may apply. If you have a province wide plan, these long distance charges wont apply to you though the call is considered "long distance" --> your province wide plan includes long distance calls within your province, hence you will only be charged for long distance calls that are not covered by your plan.

If you dont want to be bothered with hearing this message "long distance charges may apply" when you make calls --> add 1 in front of the number. In this case you would have to change your voicemail access number in your phones storage by adding the suffix +1

Back in the day, instead of a message saying "long distance charges may apply" the recording would actually tell you to hang up and place the call again with a 1 in front of the area code. Nowadays they just patch the call through for you, but warn you long distance charges *may* apply. If you precede the number with a 1 they assume you already know long distance charges may apply and do not give you any message.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @girl_toronto;

Yes, your province wide talk plan allows you to call for free to anywhere in the province from anywhere in the province, so calling from london back to Toronto will be free. However, in some of these cases you will get the "long distance charges may apply" recording before the call goes through, just ignore it and the call will go through anyways, no charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.