cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of email

Kold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Heya

So I've got a friend, they've never had a phone, and they can only log into gmail from one specific computer. Whenever they try a different device gmail asks for a phone number. 

My question, if they were to sign up for an account would the fact that they have a newly created number be able to solve this or do you think it would just make things worse? ie totally locked out.

Anyone ever experience any thing like this? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Kold then skip it as suggested by @Anonymous 

it's asking for you to set up 2 factor authentication which I suggest not too

Kold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No,  there is no phone number registered to the account. There never was. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Kold no because there is a phone number registered to that Gmail account. how come your friend doesn't know this number?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Kold 

I'm not certain one situation (i.e. having a google account looking to authorize another device) relates to the other (needing to have a telephone number to accomplish authentication).

I'm guessing Google has another way for a user to identify themselves to use other devices.

No, I'm sure they don't NEED a phone number to do this.   They likely just need to set up a different notification option through Google to use other devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does gmail also have a link to skip or ignore for now. I know I get security warnings when I log in somewhere else but I don't use my phone number.

There are also plenty other email services out there. ie. from ones internet service provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.