cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little to no service after Android update.

patrickeleclair
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there,

There was recently an Android update sent to my phone in the last week. Since then, I have had little or no service while I haven't moved from my apartment. Can't find any help so here I am.

I've checked the APN and confirmed it's Public Mobile sp.mb.com

I've rebooted, turned off network and back on. Nothing gets it above 1 bar. Sometimes I get no reception at all.

Phone: OnePlus 6

Android Version: 11

OxygenOS 11.1.1.1

11 REPLIES 11

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@patrickeleclair 

That's too bad - some good questions here that will help us clarify exactly what's going on from @esjliv... do you have call/text issues too, or only data (etc)?

Is "Oxygen" the standard OS for OnePlus?  If it's a custom OS, then the process to downgrade should be simpler for you.  One thing you can try is a factory reset of the entire phone.  Make sure to backup all your contacts/data/photos/music/etc first.  If that fails, then the manual downgrade process may be a good option, albeit a technically challenging one.

Have you tried swapping your SIM card into another phone, and another SIM card into your phone?  This can confirm whether it's a phone issue or service issue.  Occasionally, we see things happen when it really is just a coincidence and may not be an upgrade problem... let us know.  🙂

downgrade or uninstall the update is definitely a way to go .. except that.. phone does not have a easy uninstall /downgrade option, you have to download the old ROM and flash it with Odin3.. not everyone wants to go through this fun ride, i guess

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The best option right now would be to downgrade back to the old OS and see if you get your reception back.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@patrickeleclair  I have seen OnePlus users with different updates before.   Someone reported that Nord 10 had issue on Koodo after August update.  But yours is OnePlus 6, so it could be a different issue.

I suggest you try ask question at xdadeveloper forum or reddit and see if anyone had suggestions 

Also, did you try to use SIM from another provider?  Try with Rogers or Bell first.  If they work fine, try with Koodo or Telus SIM

Lastly , you might want to try factory reset without restoring backup data first and see how it goes.  Yes, it's painful to do factory reset but sometimes it's normal to fix issue after a update

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@patrickeleclair 

Does it work if you put the phone on 3G network only?

If not, can you try the SIM in another phone?

As last resort, maybe you could try a factory reset.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@patrickeleclair wrote:

Hello there,

There was recently an Android update sent to my phone in the last week. Since then, I have had little or no service while I haven't moved from my apartment. Can't find any help so here I am.

I've checked the APN and confirmed it's Public Mobile sp.mb.com

I've rebooted, turned off network and back on. Nothing gets it above 1 bar. Sometimes I get no reception at all.

Phone: OnePlus 6

Android Version: 11

OxygenOS 11.1.1.1

Hello @patrickeleclair 

Are you only having DATA issues, or calling and texting problems as well?

Are you able to check your SIM into another phone to see if issues persist? This would rule out your phone update.

If the Reset of your Network Settings did not do anything.

You could also try

• toggling into airplane mode, than back
  • removing your SIM card, then re-inserting it
  • a Soft Reset of your device

Press and hold the Power button and Volume up key until the device powers off. This can take up to 30 seconds.

Here are the APN settings for your model, check it against what you have, or reenter them:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/oneplus-6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patrickeleclair 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

and if is still not fix it try in another device to test your SIM card is no issue on it 

and try to do Restore Factory Settings,

patrickeleclair

Right on. I'm using this now, it has me at -106 to -101 while sometimes going up to -70. Not sure how I can use this information to help but I like putting a number to an issue.

I understand the update shouldn't change my signal but those 2 changed at the same time. I live in a large enough city so I'm not sure what else to do.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@patrickeleclair , I like to use this app to troubleshoot connectivity issues.  The app will tell you which tower you are connecting to.  If the tower is really far away, it can explain the low signal strength.  I doubt the OS update has anything to do with the problems with you are currently experience.  As for APN, that only affects mobile data if the information is incorrect.  It does not affect the general connectivity to the cell network.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_CA&gl=US

patrickeleclair

Tried this, no change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patrickeleclair 

,  How to reset network settings on an Android device

1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

and do Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Need Help? Let's chat.