cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 keeps restarting after inserting PM sim.

jbp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an unlocked LG G5 from koodo. Using a Rogers SIM currently. Got a PM sim and activated the 4gb 40$ plan.
Phone says it needs to restart for the new sim to be activated or something and then gets stuck in a loop. Displays the LG boot logo and then the Android is starting screen with a progress bar that takes almost 5 to 10 mins to reach 100% and then back to the logo.

Any ideas?

19 REPLIES 19

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Lesson learned folks, avoid carrier phones.  

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Glad is fixed for you.

jbp

Tried it multiple times, no luck. I've just reset my phone and now both call and data are working.

Nsk143
I used my pm sim in LG g6 without any issues
Probably conflicting some where with sim. Try reboot again and try sim again pm sim i meant to say. Maybe you get lucky and don't have to reset.

jbp

This is a lot of work for switching a SIM.

I put in a Freedom SIM yesterday and it didn't require any reset. I wonder why? It just connected to the network and worked, both call and data.

Nsk143
I know cuz I also have LG g6 😛 and I used for restore my Samsung stuff to LG.

Nsk143
Yes there a specific LG one.
I think it's called lg mobile switch.

jbp

How do I do a full backup? Is there an app to do that?

Nsk143
Reset first since its keep rebooting with pm sim. So you won't be able to reset with sim inserted. But do a full backup. 🙂

jbp

So insert the new SIM and then factory reset? or First reset and then insert the SIM?

Nsk143
Here s a way search LG back up there's a app you can download I guess like Samsung switch which can do s full backup and after factory reset you can restore it back.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

bc its a LG.  even if you didnt have the boot loop you would likley need to do factory reset to get data woring

jbp

Oh man! Factory reset to change the SIM? Why would that be required?

jbp

I have a Xiaomi Note 3 pro, the PM sim works with that without the need to restart.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

had same issue with a g5 koodo to PM.  i think i did a factory reset with no sim in it and that soved it.

Nsk143
If Rogers working fine then its something to do with sim. Try your sim in other phone if available.

This was an issue before. I found a similar thread that has a solution

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/LG-G5-bootlooping-with-PM-sim/m-p/152...

See if that works for you!

Edit: You MAY need to do a factory reset, so take out the PM sim card and do a data back up just in case

jbp
With Rogers SIM it works. Doesn't loop.

Nsk143
Try back your Rogers sim lets see does it still do the same thing or not. Doesn't sound like it's s sim issue.
Need Help? Let's chat.